Re: [ontolog-forum] Request to Rank "Top 5" Ontology-Driven Applications

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 11:59:30 +0100
Dear Colleagues,    (01)

In business there are two applications that probably dominate, neither
of which are explicitly on the list. These are:    (02)

Business Intelligence    (03)

This is how business data is analysed, sliced and diced, so that a business
can understand its performance. For example sales data is analyzed by product,
by geography, by brand, etc. All of which are parts of the ontology of the
business. This anaylsis is generally what is used to drive business performance
improvement, and is of enormous business significance.    (04)

Reference Data Management    (05)

This is the rather more explicit management of the core ontology of a business,
as the reference data used in and across systems to support systems integration
and Business Intelligence.    (06)

Regards    (07)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (08)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (09)