Re: [ontolog-forum] Proceedings of our Thu 2006.08.22 Call - ref: Ontol

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adam Pease <adampease@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:44:49 -0700
Folks,
   During our last call I promised a list of the metrics and diagnostics
performed by the Sigma Knowledge Engineering Environment
<http://sigmakee.sourceforge.net>.  Many are very simple.  Some are
warnings, and some are errors.    (01)

Error: Terms without parent
Error: Terms without a root at Entity
Error: Terms with disjoint parents
Warning: Terms without documentation
Warning: Terms that are subclasses of a partitioned class
Warning: Terms that do not appear in any rules
Warning: Quantified variable doesn't appear in body of statement.    (02)

Some diagnostics address the mappings from SUMO to WordNet    (03)

Error: synsetsWithoutTerms
Error: synsetsWithoutFoundTerms
Warning: nonMatchingTaxonomy    (04)

The most basic and significant diagnostic is an attempt to find logical
inconsistencies.  The "Consistency Check" function tries to prove an
inconsistency as well as redundancy of every statement with respect to
all others in any given knowledge base.  Because of the mathematical
properties of first order logic, the result is an incomplete proof of
consistency, but can catch problems likely to appear within practical
time bounds.  Even so, this operation can take a very long time,
depending on how much time is allotted by the user for each proof, and
the size of the knowledge base.    (05)

The initial knowledge base browsing screen of Sigma also reports some
basic metrics of the number of terms, number of axioms (statement), and
number of rules (which is a subset of the number of axioms).    (06)

Adam    (07)