[ontolog-forum] Re: Proceedings from the Ontolog Invited Speaker Sessio

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 18:33:03 -0800
We had an brilliant session today with Dr. James Spohrer,
Director of Services Research at IBM's Almaden Research Center.
Dr. Spohrer's talk was entitled "Services Sciences, Management,
Engineering (SSME): A next frontier in education, innovation, and
economic growth and the role of knowledge representation
techniques in services innovation."    (01)

Thank you very much, Jim, for sharing your work and insight, as
well as posing to us some of the challenges and the role
ontologies could play in this new frontier. We also want to thank
Dr. Douglas Engelbart for spending time with us, and for having
inspired a lot of Dr. Spohrer's work. Thanks are also due to Dr,
E. Michael Maximilien from Jim's research organization, for
helping organize this event with me. And, as always,
appreciations to all who came, participated and helped contribute
to yet another great Ontolog session.    (02)

The digitized (mp3) audio recording of the entire session has
now been posted. That will be archived in our knowledge
repository for reference and download by anyone interested. See
details at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2005_12_08#nidHXT
Dr. Spohrer's input today adds true value to this collective
knowledge and intelligence that our community is building.    (03)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy    (04)

P.S. Our next couple of major events have already been lined up:    (05)

Next week, on Thursday, Dec. 15, 2005,  Mr. Duane Nickull and Mr.
Kurt Conrad will be moderating a Technical Discussion Session on
"Ontology Applications and Implementations". A number of real
cases will be presented and discussed. Check out the details at
our wiki session page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2005_12_15    (06)

Prominent ontologist and one of our Ontolog co-conveners, Dr. Leo
Obrst from MITRE, will be presenting to the community on
Thursday, January 12, 2006. His talk will be on: "What is an
ontology? - A Briefing on the Range of Semantic Models" ... you
don't want to miss this talk, whether you are just beginning to
find out "What is an ontology?", or a software engineer
implementing ontology driven application, or even if you are a
seasoned ontologist. Please refer to details on the Ontolog wiki
closer to the time for details.    (07)

Mark your calendars ... and, RSVP (by emailing me at
<peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> offline) if you are planning to join us on
the Dec. 15 "Ontology Applications and Implementations"
discussion session.  =ppy