Re: [ontolog-forum] OASIS Symposium - Call for Participation

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, dodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Rex Brooks <rexb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 17:21:16 -0700
Hi All,    (01)

It's in our neck of the woods, Peter, so it is convenient, and I am
sure I will be fielding one or two proposals once I have had a chance
to get my legs under me. I tried but was unable to get the right kind
of telephone connection out of the hospital this morning in order to
at least listen in on the forum, but it was also very hectic with
discharge procedures.    (02)

I will try to take a look at it tomorrow. I just got out of the
hospital after 5-day bout with pneumonia, and while I am MUCH better,
things are backed up on my end of everything and it will take some
sorting out and I probably need to pace myself better than I usually
do. On the other hand, I don't have that many projects hanging fire
or short deadlines right now, other than Resources Messaging, which
will probably turn into a proposal to get double mileage out of the
effort in the Emergency Management TC.    (03)

Speaking of resources, I actually learned some interesting things
about said subject (and its sad subject side RE recent hurricanes in
terms of both our EMTC hospital availability proposal and the
availability and need for personnel resources such as traveling
nurses, of whom I met several recently from those very regions caring
for me).    (04)

Just in case you don't know, Alta Bates, Berkeley is a major node of
Alta Bates/Summit here in Northern California, and while North
Carolina has full EHR, California doesn't. My 3-day stay in ITC could
easily have been cut down to 2 if not 18-hours as well giving me much
better care and freeing up a bed due to bad intra-hospital messaging
and personnel scheduling leading to overworked nurses passing
handwritten messages which resulted in tests failing to actually be
ordered by nurses when ordered by doctors, and then misordered. Plus
short-handedness tends to push the wrong people into station and
charge nurse positions. However, once out of that unit, I got better
in a virtual snap!    (05)

It's GOOD to be back!
Rex    (06)

Rex Brooks