Re: [ontolog-forum] RE: description of the logical or semantic structur

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, chiusano_joseph@xxxxxxx, mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Internet Business Logic <ibl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:20:39 -0500
Hi Joseph --

Actually, you are opening up a very interesting can of worms here.

The key point is:

"The tags have no meaning without an external explanation of their intent and usage."   [Italics added]

For this reason, we have been advocating open vocabulary English application semantics in addition to what is normally meant by "semantics" on these fora -- namely, data semantics.

There's more about this in the "e-Government Presentation" at reengineeringllc.com, and also in http://www.w3.org/2004/12/rules-ws/paper/19, and in the underlying online system.

HTH.  Thanks in advance for comments.                 -- Adrian Walker,  CTO,  Reengineering

Internet Business Logic (R)
Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
Shared, community use is FREE

Reengineering,  PO Box 1412,  Bristol,  CT 06011-1412,  USA

Phone 860 583 9677     Mobile 860 830 2085     Fax 860 314 1029

Chiusano Joseph wrote:
I posted the response below to the XML-DEV list yesterday in response to
a question concerning XML and semantics. I recommended use of a
reference to an OWL class (or property of a class) via an attribute on
an element in an XML instance document that provides the necessary
semantics for the element (in this case, a person's full name).

Is this approach radical? New? Valuable? Outlandish? Comments welcome.

Joe

Joseph Chiusano
Associate
Booz Allen Hamilton