Re: [ontolog-forum] Re: Unambiguous context information

To: nicolas.rouquette@xxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 08:37:50 -0700

> <QUOTE>
> For example, Mike Grunninger told me once that comparing PSL and DOLCE
> is not straigthforward:
> In PSL, all timepoints in the domain of discourse must have an infinite
> linear ordering.
> There is just one time axis for everybody in the universe of discourse.
> PSL doesn't talk
> about multiple universes, the one universe in which we interpret "?t" in
> "(timepoint ?t)"
> So far so good.. but DOLCE's notion of time is something else ... He
> said time in DOLCE is modal
> but didn't elaborate much. </QUOTE>    (01)

DN - I perceived "modal" as meaning that time is a series of
non-sequential "present moments".  Having spent all last week in a
spiritual journey at Esalen, I had lots of opportunity to contemplate
this subject.  (well - I spent my days mountain biking but it is sort of
the same).    (02)

Is there really any moment existing other than the present?  Nothing can
exist in the past or the future.  Or can it? Humans perceive time in
these smaller chunks rather than all at once and end up with the
illusion that time is a sequential beast, some of the smarter
homosapiens also noting that it is relative to your own context.  If I
stare at a clock that is right in front of me, it appears to be tracking
time forwards in a sequential manner. If I am looking at it while
traveling away from it at the speed of light, it is not moving; faster
than the speed of light and it appears to move backwards.    (03)

> <QUOTE>
> Well, I have struggled with this for a while. It's clear to me now that
> DOLCE allows a very expressive way to talk about *multiple* concepts of
> time;
> not just one univeral time axis but multiple axes and "segments" of axes.
>
> For example, there is one notion of time used as an abstract concept
> when it refers to the particular time characteristics of a situation we
> are describing
> (e.g., the time when the sun rose this morning) There is a different
> notion of time
> that provides the time "data" corresponding to a specific situation
> (e.g., the sun rose at 7am this morning). <QUOTE>    (04)

DN - is that really "time" or is it a temporal displacement being used
as a qualifier?  I suppose the answer is largely philosophical.
Someone earlier posted "Representational Shift".  I will assert that
"shift happens".    (05)

Duane Nickull    (07)