Re: [ontolog-forum] Proceedings of the Thu 2005-05-05 Conference Call

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: ewallace@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 16:50:10 -0400 (EDT)

Peter called for discussion of pending logistical issues:    (01)

>2. A few issues were deferred to discussion at the planning
>level. However, we definitely need input to gauge what the
>community wants. Therefore, please voice your opinion by posting
>them to this forum. The particular issues we went over during
>today's call include:
>
>(a) change of the regular Thursday conference call time - ref:
>http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2005_05_05#nidCGB    (02)

I have been reticent on this issue because I can't say how much I can
participate in this group in the future, even if the meeting time were to
be changed.  However, it is very frustrating to not be able to participate
in events such as last week's discussion* or talks like Mark Greave's
talk next week.  Furthermore, the current regular meeting time guarantees
weak participation, at best, from a whole set of people (SWBPD working group
members) who might otherwise round out the expertise of the ontolog community.      (03)

For an alternate standard ontolog meeting slot, I would suggest Monday or
Wednesday at the same time as the current slot.  A last disruptive
alternative to changing the regular time, would be to schedule only
special events at a different time.      (04)

* The conflict with last week's Ontologies and Tagging discussion was with
the Rules Language workshop [1] rather than any SWBPD meeting.  The rules
workshop had many of the usual suspects from SWBPD: Mike Uschold, Deb
McGuinness, Jeff Pan and myself but it also included additional key
experts from the Semantic Web and rule communities such as Ian Horrocks,
Peter Patel-Schneider, Bijan Parsia, Pat Hayes and Benjamin Grosof.  This
was ironic, since the tagging discussion really needed to be balanced by
some participants from the SW community.    (05)

-Evan    (06)

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/12/rules-ws/