[ontolog-forum] [CCT-Rep] Code vs Identifier

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 05:34:25 -0500

Tim,
    many thanks for providing that memo from Mike Adcock and Sue Probert.
It helps greatly in understanding what the intentions were in distinguishing
those terms, especially by providing examples of intended use.    (01)

How one classifies these entities ontologically depends in part on whether one
is taking a *descriptive* or *prescriptive* viewpoint.  If one is developing a
standard and taking a *prescriptive* approach, one can adopt Humpty Dumpty’s
dictum: “a word . . . means just what I choose it to mean – neither more nor
less.”  Because people sometimes use words in senses not intended by standards
committees, it would probably be impossible to formalize such usage, as it will
vary from time to time.  So I assume we are talking about developing a standard
and can precisely define terms and then hope that usage conforms to the
definitions.    (02)

As Robert Miller pointed out, some things that are called “codes” are merely
numbers.  If these are in fact “codes” then a code cannot invariably be an
abbreviation (in the usual sense of a short word retaining some of the text of
the original).  This conforms to the usage that I am familiar with, and Sue’s
note in which she mentions “reason code” would also suggest the same idea,
since
the “reason codes” that I find on my HMO statement are always numbers,
referring
to a text on the back.  In a particular context such as a code list or a
defined
field in a document, even a number can be a simple substitute *synonym* for a
longer string of characters.  I think this is another way -- not necessarily
any
clearer -- of saying what Sue said about codes.  Although a code may not
necessarily be an abbreviation (in the sense of retaining some mnemonic
characters from the longer text), the notion that the code must be shorter than
its linguistic text equivalent can be easily represented.  I think this notion
of ‘code’ can be precisely represented in an ontology, and the distinction
between code and other identifiers would be clear under that interpretation.
For that reason, I like the notion of ‘code’ as a short string replacing a
longer one, defined on a list maintained by some group -- formal or informal. I
hope that the CCTS and UBL committees also eventually decide to make that the
formal meaning.    (03)

However, as I mentioned in my discussion with the Ontolog group last week,
codes
do seem to be invariably examples of an *abstract* “text” – assuming that we
allow “text” to include things like numbers and certain other printable symbols
(as well as line breaks and spaces).  This is approximately the same meaning as
“String” in computer programming.  “Abstract” means that we are not just
talking
about a physical blot of ink on a piece of paper, but the general notion of,
say
the string of numbers “21” (a two followed by a one).  This way we can
immediately identify the sequence of characters on the form in our hands with
the same sequence of characters on a duplicate form in the HMO office.  The
string “cat” is then a single abstract text which may have many different
representations in different physical objects – books, computer memories,
display screens -- and it refers to a real-world object that purrs.  This is a
characteristic of names and code strings, whether alphabetic or numerical.    (04)

If the standards group decides to specify that the term “code” must necessarily
be a string of characters (numbers, other printable symbols) that serves as a
synonym for a longer string of characters, and that this string is recognized
in
some formal or official way by some group of people,  then it would differ from
other identifiers in one or the other of those characteristics.  A very rough
class subsumption diagram for these concepts might be as depicted in the block
diagram of a graphic in WinWord format that I have include as an attachment.
I have also put it on my web site:
                  ftp://micra.com/ontolog/CodeIDIm.doc    (05)

  In this diagram the arrows point from the more specific to the more general
concept class. In this fragment of an ontology there are two highest-level
classes, ”AbstractIdentificationSymbol” and "AbstractString".   Some things
like
names and vehicle ID numbers can be instances of both classes.    (06)

      ”AbstractIdentificationSymbol”  has two parallel decompositions, and most
identifiers are instances of two classes -- one from each of the two groups:    (07)

AbstractIdentificationString               TypeIdentificationSymbol
GraphicIdentificationSymbol                IndividualIndentificationSymbol     (08)

                                            AttributeIdentificationSymbol    (09)

    Some examples of graphic and textual symbols are suggested.    (010)

      This interpretation is not the same as the interpretation that I used for
the code/identifier relation in the SMINK012 ontology.  But if is there is some
consensus that a ‘code’ must be a short replacement for another string of
words,
it will be simple to adjust that structure and formalize those notions.    (011)

     Pat    (012)

========================================================    (013)

Robert.Miller@xxxxxxx wrote:    (014)

> Good People,
>
> I was kinda happy that this paper disappeared, and unhappy to see it
> resurface.  While a few codes do appear to be more like 'text' than like
> 'identifiers, I've yet to be convinced that any of the code lists I find
> in X12 standards are simply 'text' abbreviations.
>
> Some 'text' examples from X12 Data Elements:
>
> 83 Code for Licensing, Certification, Registration, or Accreditation Agency
>     Code identifying a licensing, certification, registration, or
> accreditation agency.
>    1 Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on
> Higher Education
>
> This code identifies an organization.
>
> 375 Tariff Service Code
>        Code specifying the types of services for rating purposes

>    HG Household Goods for International Military Air Transport
>    HH House-to-House
>          Rate applies for cargo shipped in containers where the stuffing
> and shipping thereof is performed by or for the account of the shipper
> and/or consignee at their respective locations beyond ocean carrier's
> port terminals
>
> These codes act as indices into rate tables.  That is, thay identify
> specific rates.
>
> 40 Equipment Description Code
>     Code identifying type of equipment used for shipment

>     DX Boxcar, Damage Free Equipped
>     FX Boxcar Cushion Under Frame OF
>
> The word 'Description' in the title suggest 'text'.  The definition of
> the data elemetn says 'identifying', and the codes identify specific
> types of equipment, having specific attributes.
>

> Cheers,
>         Bob Miller

Patrick Cassidy    (016)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer above)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054    (017)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx