[ontolog-forum] File Naming Convention and Simple Versioning

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 07:06:05 -0800
Ref my earlier post on the subject matter (captured below),    (01)

1. I am suggesting the discussion and adoption of a simple file-naming
convention that will help us capture basic metadata into long
filenames, and provide a simple versioning mechanism, for files which
our community members may upload into the [ontolog] file repository
(file-sharing workspace under http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/).    (02)

2. I recommend that files or directories be named according to the
syntax below:    (03)

(a) A full name, for a versioned copy of the file:    (04)

  "ShortDescriptiveFilename--AuthorRef_VersionDateRef.ext"    (05)

where,    (06)

  "ShortDescriptiveFilename" = a short descriptive filename that may
contain upper and lower case text, numerals, "-" (dash) and "_"
(underscore). Use upper camel case or dashes and underscores as
separators. Space and other symbols are not allowed here;    (07)

  Followed by two dashes;    (08)

  "AuthorRef" = a reference comprising the name of the author and/or
the organization where the file is authored. Upper camel case
preferred. Separate author and organization with a dash if both are
featured. Again, space and other symbols are not allowed here;    (09)

  "VersionDateRef" = a reference comprising the version number and/or
the date the file is released. Start the version number with a "v";
use "-" instead of "." in the version numbering (like "v2-15" instead
of "v2.15"). Separate version and date with an underscore, if both are
featured. For the date reference, the more significant parts should
come first -- use "yyyymmdd". Add an "a", "b", "c", ... suffix, if
multiple versions may occur with the same date reference. Again, space
and other symbols are not allowed here;    (010)

  Followed by "." (a dot); [there should only be one "." in the entire
filename, and it should be right before the file extension)    (011)

  "ext" is the standard file extension by which this file can be
associated with an appropriate application that will handle it. This
is generally in 2~4 lower case alphanumeric characters.    (012)

(b) a brief name, for the current (latest posted) version of the file:    (013)

  "ShortDescriptiveFilename.ext"    (014)

  same conventions as above.    (015)

3. Examples:    (016)

[full name] : SigmaUserManual--AdamPease_20040215.pdf
[brief name]: SigmaUserManual.pdf    (017)

[full name] : ONTOLOG-CWE--PeterYim_20031105.ppt
[brief name]: ONTOLOG-CWE.ppt    (018)

[full name] : SUMO_v1-566  (specific version directory name)
[brief name]: SUMO         (current version directory name)    (019)

4. As a reference, a similar convention is being practiced at w3c for
their published work too. See, for example: (note their page header
information) http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-webont-req-20040210/    (020)

5. Other suggestions, comments, alternates are welcomed. I further
suggest that this (or an improved naming convention, as may emerge
from our discussion) be adopted within 2 weeks; or gets adopted
automatically at the end of the two weeks, if we don't hear objections
to the same.    (021)

6. This could be used, at least as an interim measure, until such a
time when we would introduce more sophisticated version control tools
for the purpose.    (022)

Thanks,
PPY
--    (023)