Re: [ontolog-forum] SKIF/Protege and Mid-Level ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:55:08 -0500
The Mid-Level ontology file MILO suggested by Adam Pease
was downloaded and added together with the SUMO 1.566
file suggested by Peter Yim.  These files appear to
be distributable under the GNU GPL, so we should be
able to use them freely.    (01)

In attempting to import the combined files into
Protege using the SkifTab plugin, I find that there
are about 100 classes and about half that number of
relations in the "Mid-Level" segment that are
duplicates of classes and relations already in SUMO 1.566.
I removed those duplicates, reorganized the propositions
in blocks with the same first argument, corrected a few
dozen irregularities and syntactic and spelling errors,
and added a few classes that were required by other
propositions in the Mid-Level file.  The final text
file (in SKIF format) "sam156.txt" (for Sumo And Midlevel)
is available at:
    ftp://micra.com/ontolog/sam156.txt    (02)

    This file now imports into Protege without serious
error.  The resulting Protege text files are available
compressed into a WinZip file at:    (03)

    ftp://micra.com/ontolog/summo001.zip    (04)

    ("Suggested Upper and Middle Merged Ontology")    (05)

    This set of classes and relations can be used as
the base for the Invoice ontology.  I will soon
recheck the previous text file that we created for
Invoices to see that it will load properly together
with the SUMMO ontology, and then prepare the
formalization of the InvoiceCurrencyCode, as Adam
has suggested for my assignment.    (06)

    It is not unlikely that formalization of any
one of the classes in the Invoice ontology will require
creation of additional related classes. I expect that
the SUMMO ontology will help to recognize which classes
need creation, and where they will fit in a full
ontology.  I will be happy to hear any comments
or suggestions about the SUMMO in text (SKIF) or
Protege format.    (07)

    Pat    (08)

Patrick Cassidy    (09)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054        || (908) 668-5904 (fax)    (010)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx