Re: [ontolog-forum] Logical Language and English

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adrian Walker <adrianw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 08:28:29 -0500
Adam --

Thanks for your comments, below.

You wrote: "...IBL as far as I can see isn't using a logical language."

The logical basis for the IBL is in Backchain Iteration: Towards a Practical Inference Method that is Simple Enough to be Proved Terminating, Sound and Complete. Journal of Automated Reasoning, 11:1-22, and in the earlier papers that it references.  There's a model/fixpoint theory, an interpreter/compiler, and proofs that the i/c implements the model theory.

So, I would argue that the  IBL is using a logical language, in quite a strong sense.  The "Semantic Web Presentation" at www.reengineeringllc.com argues further that binding English to a solid logical basis like this is going to be essential in the real world.

Of course, we would all like to see a solution to the "big AI problem" of rigorously understanding all of natural language.  The IBL FAQs mention that this is difficult.  But meanwhile, the hope is that our system provides something reliable and useful, and perhaps a pointer to new approaches to the big problem.

Thanks in advance for any further discussion.

                                Best,  -- Adrian

                                           INTERNET BUSINESS LOGIC

                                             www.reengineeringllc.com

Dr. Adrian Walker