Re: [ontolog-forum] Re: [regrep-cc-review] What if? CCRIM => CCOWL

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Michael Daconta" <mdaconta@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:27:06 -0700
Hi Everyone,    (01)

The subject of Topic maps versus OWL is very important to work I am
currently doing.  I am participating in a group that will be
standardizing a DOD taxonomy framework and we will need to choose a
representation format.  Clearly, topic maps and OWL are the two front
runners.    (02)

With regard to taxonomies, topic maps seem to have an advantage in
simplicity, while OWL has the advantage in semantic validity.  Also,
some of the semantic foundations are identical in that Topic maps do
support class/subclass associations.  Unfortunately, the class modeling
in topic maps is very weak.  Thus, one key judgement criteria is
"how important is robust class modeling to effective classification?"    (03)

Topic maps rely mostly on name-based classification (and merging) while
OWL classes have robust properties, set theoretics and mapping.
I plan on working through these details to support a recommendation in
the next few weeks.  Comments, suggestions and insights are welcome.    (04)

Best wishes,    (05)

  - Mike    (06)

Jack Park wrote on 1/1/2004, 12:24 PM:    (07)