Re: [ontolog-forum] nuts and bolts

To: Adam Pease <apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Cassidy <pcassidy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:58:39 -0400
Concerning methodology:    (01)

 >   In a frame system, a slot simply means there's a relation that
 > may be provided between an instance of the class on which it is
 > defined, and  its filler.  In a first order logic system, the
 > relation means exactly  what is specified by its associated axioms.
 >  If you want to do the
 > axioms first, that renders the Protege modelling step irrelevant.    (02)

   If one wants to first use Protege only to define a tentative
class hierarchy, that would be OK as a first step.  But as soon
as we start to add properties and relations, I think it is
important to define the relations carefully.  Axioms as
used in SUMO are fine.  We just have to agree on which
ones to use.  I think that the axioms should be included
as soon as a relation is asserted between classes (or
instances of classes).
    A macro predicate feature is not **needed** to define the
axiomatic meanings of predicates (neither is Protege or
the SUMO browser).  It is **convenient** and perspicuous for
cases where similar predicates are used to specify the meanings
of multiple relations.  I think that anything that simplifies the
tasks of creating and understanding a complex ontology should be
given careful consideration.  The SUMO browser is valuable
for that reason, not because it is needed.
    I am not fully familiar with SUMO, but I do not recall seeing
a mechanism for specifying probabilistic relations.  How are they
represented?    (03)

      I will be out of contact now for a week.    (04)

     Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy    (06)

MICRA, Inc.                      || (908) 561-3416
735 Belvidere Ave.               || (908) 668-5252 (if no answer)
Plainfield, NJ 07062-2054        || (908) 668-5904 (fax)    (07)

internet:   cassidy@xxxxxxxxx