Re: [ontolog-forum] nuts and bolts

To: cassidy@xxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adam Pease <apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 22:52:48 -0700
Pat,
   I'm not really sure what you're asking, nor am I clear on why Cyc's
macro features are relevant.  They're certainly not needed for a precise
axiomatic definition of terms.
   In a frame system, a slot simply means there's a relation that may be
provided between an instance of the class on which it is defined, and its
filler.  In a first order logic system, the relation means exactly what is
specified by its associated axioms.  If you want to do the axioms first,
that renders the Protege modelling step irrelevant.
   I should also mention that the precise semantics of the general notion
of a Relation is already carefully and axiomatically defined in SUMO.  Look
at
<http://ontology.teknowledge.com:8080/rsigma/SKB.jsp?req=SC&name=Relation&skb=SUMO>    (01)

Adam    (02)