[ontolog-forum] Re: Ontology: Active vs. Observer

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter P. Yim" <yimpp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:34:51 -0800
Good question, Dean. I'm sure there are others in the community who
might like to know too ... therefore, I am replying to the entire list
(hope that's OK with you.)    (01)

Ref the invitation back in September 2002 for everyone to join this
forum, it merely stated:    (02)

//
* If you choose to participate, indicate whether you expect to be
an active member (with voting rights) or merely an observer (no
voting rights).  Observers will be encouraged to participate in the
discussion but will not be expected to take responsibility for
critical path activities.
//
See:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2002-09/msg00000.html#nid012    (03)

Therefore, to more specifically answer you, this is how I feel. Of
course, being an open community, the group here makes it's own rules.    (04)

1. We are hoping that everyone (both "active members" and "observers")
in the community will contribute ... by being a part of the community,
   giving everyone their insights, voicing their opinion, and taking
up community tasks and responsibilities when they choose to do so.    (05)

2. Experience or level of expertise (in the related subject matters)
is NOT a criterion for "active" or "observer" membership status.    (06)

3. I would think that the bulk of the community decisions are reached
by consensus. But, there will be ones that need to be decided through
the process of voting. And, at those points, only active members'
votes would count.    (07)

4. For the time being, what delineates "active" members would be their
"rights" (to vote on community issues) and "responsibilities" (that,
by implication, if they take on certain tasks, especially those on the
critical path, the rest of the community can rely on them to deliver.)    (08)

5. Participation in projects (the UBL-Ontology project, is, for the
time being, the only one being discussed) is NOT limited to any
particular class of membership. Being proactive and responsive, are,
obviously, necessary conditions to participation, though. Everyone,
both active members and observers are encouraged to participate.    (09)

6. Participation in conference call, again, is NOT a requirement by
virtue of membership class. Especially, when we have recognized the
fact that not all members can participate in those calls, and have
made it a point to only transact business over the e-mail forum (and
NOT over the conference calls.)    (010)

 > Suggestions?    (011)

Therefore, if you want to influence the direction and actions of this
community, and is willing to take on responsibilities, please declare
yourself an "active" member. I shall look forward to you, and others,
to so indicate.    (012)

Sincerely,
PPY
--    (013)