[ontolog-forum] Ontology building methodology

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: MDaconta@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:20:34 EST
In a message dated 3/6/2003 3:49:20 PM US Mountain Standard Time, lobrst@xxxxxxxxx writes:

By the way, both of these papers are on Chris Welty's home page:
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/faculty/welty/.

Hi Everyone,

In looking at these papers, I don't see these methodologies as
being in competition.  I see it as an issue of granularity.  The
welty and guaranino papers discuss finer points of ontology
construction (identity, rigidity, dependence) which can easily
be included in Step 4.1 which is "ensuring that the class
hierarchy is correct".  In other words, the process is a multi-pass
process.

Thus, I would recommend that the overaching framework be the
Ontology 101 process with a "Welty and Guarino" pass in step 4.

Thoughts?

- Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Chief Scientist, Advanced Programs Group
McDonald Bradley, Inc.
www.daconta.net