RE: [ontolog] ontology tools and an ontology repository?

To: <ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Yunker, John" <yunker@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:56:39 -0800
We've had much the same argument in UN/CEFACT regarding semantic business
models and their syntax specific expressions.    (01)

Syntax are usually optimized for their use case / application, which is a good
thing.  XML serialization has several advantages to those wishing to base
application functionality on evolving ontology semantics, where that
application will be aligned with specific versions of the ontology through
exchange of serializations.    (02)

The ideal solution is a semantic model which can be expressed in several
syntax.  You see this now in the Protégé project, with the ability to emit
several syntax specific representations of an ontology expression.    (03)

I would vote for the repository being constructed around a model, with
interfaces to the repository being in specific syntax.  (I'm a fan of RDF)    (04)

John    (05)