new so I would like to join as an observer.
Exco-member XMLOne User Group
This message is an invitation to join the reconstituted
Ontolog discussion group. For those of you who were once subscribed to
the [ubl-ontolog] forum, you will need to respond to subscribe to this new
forum. This is the only general call for participation that we currently
expect to distribute.
Ontolog is an open
- Discuss practical issues and strategies associated with the development
of both formal and informal ontologies used in business.
- Identify ontological engineering approaches that might be applied to the
In March and April of
2002, members of the OASIS Universal Business Language (UBL) Committee with
backgrounds and interests in ontologies attempted to kick off and charter a
discussion dealing with ontological issues under auspices of UBL Library
Content Subcommittee (http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/).
factors made this approach problematic: 1) Early feedback indicated more
interest in learning about ontologies than applying experience with
ontological development 2) Tight timetables, deadlines, and priorities within
the UBL effort made it an inappropriate forum.
After conversations with
the chair of the UBL committee, Jon Bosak, the conveners of this forum decided
to reconstitute the Ontolog forum outside of the UBL effort around the
statements of mission listed in the above charter.
In addition to the primary statements of
- We want to be pragmatic and not take a purely philosophical or academic
approach to the topic.
- We expect to contribute to the development of future standards.
The ongoing relationship with the UBL effort is one example of this.
- We encourage forum members to propose and decide upon their own
- Some day, we hope to host a repository of business ontologies.
How It Will Work
- The Ontolog discussion will use infrastructure provided by CIM
Engineering, Inc. This is normally provided on a subscription
basis. If you have any ideas about potential sponsorship, please
inform the conveners.
- Messages can be posted by members to ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Activities will follow the OASIS process as closely as possible.
- Where the discussion raises specific issues or leads to specific
proposals or recommendations for the UBL effort, they will be separately
documented and forwarded to the UBL Chair for consideration. Input will be
limited to actionable recommendations, not just general issues that would
require further study.
What We Expect Each of You To
- Reply to this message, indicating whether you would like to be added to
the in the Ontolog discussion group.
- If you choose to participate, indicate whether you expect to be an
active member (with voting rights) or merely an observer (no voting
rights). Observers will be encouraged to participate in the discussion
but will not be expected to take responsibility for critical path
What We Hope Each of You Will Do
- Add discussion threads of personal interest.
- Identify other individuals that might want to participate in the list.
Simply ask them to contact one of the three convenors, who will coordinate
their addition to the list.
We would like to see Ontolog
become the forum of choice for discussing the development and application of
business ontologies. With your participation, we expect this to quite
/s/ The conveners of the Ontolog