Re: [ontolog-admin] big data

To: Jack Ring <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-admin] forum" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 10:48:01 -0800
Jack,    (01)

Thank you for asking (I hope you don't mind my sharing the answer with
the community.)    (02)

Citing a web link as part of (say, a reference to support) something
you are posting, is ok (assuming it is not self-promotional, or done
with the intent to promote a proprietary product or something - ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidLMK )    (03)

[ ... of course, cutting and pasting that content into the post,
starts other concerns (as they may relate to fair use, re-publishing
permissions, etc.), but that's not what you are asking.]    (04)

When I first saw your link, I said to myself: "Oh no, I'm not a
LinkedIn member, and probably can't even see what Jack is asking about
..."  ... this gets me to the point that, citing anything that is
password protected (i.e. open to some and not others) are in general
considered "non-open" content, and should be avoided.    (05)

... However, luckily, the page resolved into a blog on
http://gigaom.com which is openly browsable - therefore, I would
categorically say that, even if you are citing the link, you should
cite the gigaom.com link (instead of the LinkedIn link) - i.e.
http://gigaom.com/cloud/5-low-profile-startups-that-could-change-the-face-of-big-data/
... it is always better to provide the link to the source, where the
article originated anyway (rather than their 2nd or 3rd hand
references.)    (06)

Nice article, by the way, thanks!    (07)

Best regards. =ppy