Re: [ontolog-admin] [ontolog-forum] New Enterprise and IT Taxonomies

To: Frank Guerino <Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 13:17:59 -0700
Hi Frank,    (01)

> [FG] ... Please know that my intent is well-intentioned.    (02)

[ppy]  Thanks. I never doubted your intention (although it is not
relevant to the matter at hand.)    (03)

> [FG]  The material provided "is" free and open subject to the clear
> terms that are documented on the site's Master Agreement    (04)

[ppy]  "Free" and "Open" are clearly defined, and unambiguous concepts
when one is talking about IPR and use licensing in the context of our
"open" community (ref. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html &
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php ). When you subject
something that is "free" or "open" to further terms and conditions,
you may render it "not free" or "not open" any more (which I suspect
is your case), and have therefore, suggested that you review the
situation.    (05)

 > [FG] ... (as is compliant with the
> point in your second bullet, below)    (06)

[ppy]  unfortunately, the "exception" mentioned in my second bullet,
is *only* applicable to events where a prior waiver has been
sanctioned (usually by the organizers of that event, which would
include a convener of this community). It is *not* generally
applicable to nominal contributions by members to the Ontolog-CWE.    (07)

> [FG]  Our goal is to empower people and enterprises ...
> ... one of the ways to give back.    (08)

[ppy]  I respect your goals and intent, and therefore, would again,
hope that you would consider opening up any work that is not already
under one of the compatible "free" or "open" use licenses before
contributing/discussion them here, so our community, and the world at
large, would benefit from it.    (09)

> [FG]  I hope you'll agree that the content is
> compliant, as I see nothing in the IPR and policies that
> conflicts with our own MA or that shows otherwise.    (010)

[ppy]  It's *not* whether I agree. Based on the above, I have a
feeling that your content isn't (because you subjected them to further
conditions), when taken "as is." However, if *you agree* (since you
are in a position to multiple license your work, assuming you are the
IPR owner) that you are making your contribution in accordance with
the Ontolog IPR Policy, *then it will be* ... and any user may then
treat your contribution like any other Ontolog contribution.    (011)

If that is the way you would like to go, kindly confirm that in
writing (in your next post to the list) so we have a record of that in
the archives. Otherwise, you might need to consider withdrawing your
post.    (012)

I hope this really clarifies the situation, and that we can close the
discussion.    (013)

Thank & regards.  =ppy
--    (014)

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Frank Guerino
<Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> conflicts with our own MA or that shows otherwise.
>
> I hope this clarifies.
>
> ...[snip]...
>
> My Best,
>
> Frank    (015)

> On 8/25/11 1:15 PM, "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Hi Frank,
>>

>>My main concern is in whether or not the content you are drawing our
>>community membership to (or is discussing with the community through
>>that solicitation) qualifies as "free or open" technology, or "open
>>content." The Ontolog CWE (collaborative work environment) is
>>specifically reserved for free and open material. If your material
>>qualifies, then we do not have a problem.
>>
>>We do have specific constraints regarding commerical-promotion or
>>self-promotional material - see:
>>http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidLMK
>>
>>There are exceptions, though:
>>
>>* such as event announcements, calls for papers/participations,
>>recruitment announcements, and the like (for which the terms and
>>conditions of use are documented at the respective pages) - see links
>>below: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidRER
>>
>>* we occasionally do provide opportunities to cover non-open material
>>... however, under those circumstances, special waivers would have
>>been in place - see, for example:
>>http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2011_01_27#nid2M1G
>>
>>I do look forward to your sharing compliant work, or your opening up
>>work that is not under one of the compatible use licenses, so our
>>community, and the world at large, can benefit from the good work you
>>and your associates are doing.
>>

>>Thanks & regards.  =ppy
>>--    (016)

>>On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 4:40 AM, Frank Guerino
>><Frank.Guerino@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the references to the IPR.  I went through the material and
>>>the
>>> post does not appear to violate any policies, as none of the Foundation
>>> content is actually published in the forum.  Instead, the posts act as
>>> nothing more than news/announcement references to such off-forum
>>>content.
>>> And, I certainly have no issues with on-forum discussion about the
>>>topics
>>> posted.  It would appear that this posting would be no different than
>>>the
>>> thousands of other posts that are news or announcement posts to the
>>>forum.
>>>  In those cases, such posts point to off-forum material, which is not
>>> within the scope of ownership or accountability of the forum.
>>>
>>> May I ask, were you referring to anything specific in the IPR?
>>>
>>> My Best,
>>>
>>> Frank
>>> --
>>> Frank Guerino, Chairman
>>> The International Foundation for Information Technology (IF4IT)
>>> 1.908.294.5191 (M)    (017)