[ontolog-admin] Ontolog Invited Speaker - Timothy Redmond - Thu 2006.06.

To: Timothy Redmond <tredmond@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-admin]" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Mark Musen <musen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:13:06 -0700
Dear Dr. Redmond,    (01)

Further to our recent exchanges, I would like to thank you, on
behalf of the community, for accepting our invitation to speak at
the Ontolog-Forum on Thursday, June 29, 2006. As mentioned,
Ontolog is rolling out a series of events (talks and discussion
sessions) between April and July 2006 that revolve around the
topic: "Ontologizing the Ontolog Body of Knowledge" during which
this community will explore the "what's" and "how's" to the
development of a semantically interoperable application, using
the improved access to the community knowledge of Ontolog as a
case in point. Your talk will be a part of this series, which
culminates in the 7/23/06 face-to-face workshop which we will be
organizing as a part of your 7th International Protégé
Conference. I am writing here, to provide further details and
some administrivia on the event.    (02)

This session will be a 1.5 to 2 hour virtual event, scheduled for
10:30am~12:30pm PDT / 1:30pm~3:30pm EDT / 17:30~19:30 UTC.
Depending on the number of participants, the session will
probably start with about 10~15 minutes for self-introductions by
participants and for getting everyone settled in. We will then
formally introduce you. Your virtual presentation (of
approximately 45~60 minutes) will then follow. After which, there
will be an open discussion for about 30~45 minutes.  This will be
over a phone conference, augmented by online presentation material.    (03)

The [ontolog] community engages in the learning, discourse and
development of ontologies, is trying to advance the adoption and
application of ontological engineering approaches and semantic
technologies (see our charter at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidB ), and
is facilitating their move into the mainstream standards.  Your
giving us this talk (as discussed) on the Protégé architecture
and API, as well as affording the applications developers within
our community the chance to have an open dialog with you, will be
truly valued and appreciated.    (04)

I need from you (hopefully before the end of May 2006):    (05)

(a) the title for your talk,    (06)

(b) an abstract of your talk,    (07)

(c) a recent picture of yours, and    (08)

(d) a short biographic sketch of yourself.    (09)

Upon receipt of the above, I will build out the session wiki page
and announce the event, so that people could mark their calendars
and plan to attend.    (010)

Closer to the time (say, a week before your talk, although this
is not a hard deadline), please send me:    (011)

(e) your presentation material* (in pdf, powerpoint, sxi, html,
png, jpg or some common electronic format) so that I can post it
online for access during the session. (Optionally, you may choose
  to have that posted a week or so in advance of your talk, or
the morning of your session.)    (012)

During the talk, you will be in control of a shared-screen server
(a VNC server) that will allow you to run your presentation
slides, a web browser or even other applications. If you do need
to run another applications (say, Protégé), please provide me
with more details because we may need some prior coordination to
make it happen. The display screen from the VNC server will be
shared by most of the virtual attendees during the event. If you
have trouble with the VNC server access, I can always advance
slides for you on your prompt.    (013)

(f) After I receive your presentation material (and if you choose
to control your slides or other applications during the session),
we will schedule a phone session so that I can walk you through
the presentation controls and some of the relevant nuances that
our virtual speaker(s) need to be aware of. We should do this
while you are at the venue where you plan to be presenting from
(e.g. your office, your home, ... etc. because each may present
different connectivity issues we would need to tackle). You are
also requested to take a look at the hints we have for sessions
like this at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpeakerSessionTips    (014)

For your reference, please feel free to check out the wiki pages
of similar recent presentations, which you can access under
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ. They
should provide some clues as to the format of our monthly invited
speaker events. However, do feel free to conduct your
presentation any way you feel like (let me know, though, if you
expect it to be quite different, so that I can work on providing
the support you need.) We will be creating a wiki page for your
session after we have received the above ((a) thru (d) input from
you), at which point, you are encouraged to post additional
relevant resources (papers, links, references, ... etc.) to
support your presentation.    (015)

Additionally, we will be recording our presentation sessions and
make the archived audio file available online, along with the
presentation material. May I, on behalf of the Ontolog Forum,
request your permission to do so. Please refer to our IPR policy
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32
that will be applicable. I will also subscribe you to the
[ontolog-forum] mailing list so that you will be kept abreast of
the exchanges prior to, and following your presentation. I will
assume that these are acceptable to you unless I hear from you
otherwise.    (016)

Once again, thank you very much for agreeing to speak, and to
having a dialog with the rest of the Ontolog community. I shall
look forward to the event, and to to your continued contribution
to Ontolog in the future. Feel free to contact the undersigned if
there is any question.    (017)

Sincerely,
=PPY    (018)

Peter P. Yim
[ontolog-forum], co-convener
http://ontolog.cim3.net
Phone: +1 (650) 578-9998    (019)

P.S. *Please note that: in preparing your powerpoint (or other
presentation material), please (a) make sure you number the
slides, and (b) avoid using any animation or transitions, as they
do not work very well over the real-time shared-screen service
which we employ to allow the audience to be in sync with you on
your slide presentation.  =ppy