[ontolog-admin] Ontolog Invited Speaker - Matthew West - Thu 2006.06.01

To: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-admin]" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 06:39:50 -0700
Dear Matthew,    (01)

Further to our recent e-mail exchanges, I would like to thank
you, on behalf of the community, for accepting our invitation to
speak at the Ontolog-Forum on Thursday, June 1, 2006. I am
writing here, to provide further details and some
administrivia on the event.    (02)

This session will be a 1.5 to 2 hour virtual event, scheduled for
  17:30~19:30 UTC / 18:30~20:30 GMT / 8:30am~10:30am PST /
11:30am~1:30pm EST. Depending on the number of participants, the
session will probably start with about 10~15 minutes for
self-introductions by participants and for getting everyone
settled in. We will then formally introduce you. Your virtual
presentation (of approximately 45~60 minutes) will then follow.
After which, there will be an open discussion for about 30~45
minutes.  This will be over a phone conference, augmented by
online presentation material.    (03)

The [ontolog] community engages in the learning, discourse and
development of ontologies, is trying to advance the adoption and
application of ontological engineering approaches and semantic
technologies (see our charter at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidB ), and
is facilitating their move into the mainstream standards. Your
giving us this talk (as discussed) on ISO 18876 - integration of
industrial data for exchange access and sharing (IIDEAS),
providing an architectural framework for integrating/federating
and what it involves, as well as affording us the chance to
have an open dialog with you will be truly valued and appreciated..    (04)

To recap, I need from you:    (05)

(a) the title for your talk, (ppy: need this quickly)    (06)

(b) an abstract of your talk, (ppy: need this quickly)    (07)

(c) a link to a recent picture of yours (ppy: I've already got
this, but feel free to send an update), and    (08)

(d) a short biographic sketch of yourself (ppy: I've already got
this, but feel free to send an update).    (09)

I'd appreciate if you can send me (a) and (b) above within a day
or two (allowing me to get things rolling before leave for my
impending trip). Upon receipt of them, I will build out the
session wiki page and announce the event, so that people could
mark their calendars and plan to attend.    (010)

Closer to the time (say, two or three days before your talk,
although this is not a hard deadline), please send me:    (011)

(e) your presentation material* (in pdf, powerpoint, sxi, html,
png, jpg or some common electronic format) so that I can post it
online for access during the session. (Optionally, you may choose
  to have that posted a week or so in advance of your talk, or
the morning of your session.)    (012)

During the talk, you will be in control of a shared-screen server
(a VNC server) that will allow you to run your presentation
slides, a web browser or even other applications (if you do need
to run other applications, please provide me with more details
because we may need some prior coordination to make it happen).
The display screen from the VNC server will be shared by most of
the virtual attendees during the event. If you have trouble with
the VNC server access, I can always advance slides for you on
your prompt.    (013)

(f) After I receive your presentation material (and if you choose
to control your only slides during the session), we will schedule
a phone session so that I can walk you through the presentation
controls and some of the relevant nuances that our virtual
speaker(s) need to be aware of. We should do this while you are
at the venue where you plan to be presenting from (e.g. your
office, your home, ... etc. because each may present different
connectivity issues we would need to tackle). You are also
invited to take a look at the hints we have for sessions like
this at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VirtualSpeakerSessionTips    (014)

For your reference, please feel free to check out the wiki pages
of similar recent presentations, which you can access under
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ. They
should provide some clues as to the format of our monthly invited
speaker events. However, do feel free to conduct your
presentation any way you feel like (let me know, though, if you
expect it to be quite different, so that I can work on providing
the support you need.) We will be creating a wiki page for your
session after we have received the above ((a) thru (d) input from
you), at which point, you are encouraged to post additional
relevant resources (papers, links, references, ... etc.) to
support your presentation.    (015)

Additionally, we will be recording our presentation sessions and
make the archived audio file available online, along with the
presentation material. May I, on behalf of the Ontolog Forum,
request your permission to do so. Please refer to our IPR policy
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32
that will be applicable. I will also subscribe you to the
[ontolog-forum] mailing list so that you will be kept abreast of
the exchanges prior to, and following your presentation. I will
assume that these are acceptable to you unless I hear from you
otherwise.    (016)

Once again, thank you very much for agreeing to speak, and to
having a dialog with the rest of the Ontolog community. I shall
look forward to the event, and to to your continued contribution
to Ontolog in the future. Feel free to contact the undersigned if
there is any question.    (017)

Sincerely,
=PPY    (018)

Peter P. Yim
[ontolog-forum], co-convener
http://ontolog.cim3.net
Phone: +1 (650) 578-9998    (019)

P.S. *Please note that: in preparing your powerpoint (or other
presentation material), please (a) make sure you number the
slides, and (b) avoid using any animation or transitions, as they
do not work very well over the real-time shared-screen service
which we employ to allow the audience to be in sync with you on
your slide presentation.  =ppy
--     (020)