[ontolog-admin] Shamesless-plugs, Dec-2005 Discussion session prep, etc

To: Kurt Conrad <conrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-admin]" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:41:26 -0800
Duane / Kurt,    (01)

1. Looks good. I think this "Call for Submissions" is a great idea.    (02)

2. Understanding what on the landscape, open or proprietary, is
crucial to our mission (although our open knowledge, open
content, open source policy would only encourage our free
promotion of the former.) We do want a proper exposure to
*everything* (open or not) ... and, an "invited" presentation of
something proprietary (say, Doug Lenat talking about Cyc on our
invitation ... although we would probably prompt him to put more
focus on OpenCyc) is surely NOT a "shameless" plug.    (03)

3. Referring back to the earlier exchange and post about
"Commercially skewed postings" and "self-promotions" (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2005-08/msg00014.html
&
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?RecommendedReadingResource#nidANP),
I think what we want to avoid is the *real* shamelesss plugs, and
  people using our space as some kind of a free bill-board. The
two statements referred above should probably suffice (we just
have to be true to them, and keep nudging people back in line,
when need be.    (04)

4. Before we do anything else, I think you two should *lock down
a date* first. That way, we can start a wiki page for it, and
that page could serve as a "shared display" that helps sync
everything (and everyone) up. Do you have one yet? If not, can we
have one now? (so far, we only know that it's going to be in
December -- ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2005_10_06#nidGNL)    (05)

5.
 > [DN] So can we place this item on the agenda for Thursday?    (06)

[ppy] we are not going to have a chance to "talk about it"
anytime soon (see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MeetingsCalls#nidEXT) ...
since our moderator/organizer usually are empowered to make the
calls, I suggest that you two just go ahead and make whatever
interim decisions necessary to move the whole thing forward. Try
keeping as much of the conversation on the [ontolog-forum] as
much as you can. That way, we can keep people posted, and would
be better able to cater the event to the community's needs and wants.    (07)

Cheers.  =ppy