Re: [ontolog-admin] Ontolog UBL Ontology Project Report

To: "[ontolog-admin] forum" <ontolog-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Leo Obrst <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:28:22 -0400
Yes, very meticulous, Kurt. Thanks much!     (01)

Leo    (02)

ps. one nit: my name is misspelled (but very common mistake!)    (03)

"Peter P. Yim" wrote:

> Eli,
>
> Thank you for the message.
>
> Great goal you have ... I appreciate your pragmatism too.
>
>  > My understanding of your project is that you are focused on
>  > creating a detailed ontology of a specific subdomain covered
>  > by the UBL.
>
> The domain for UBL is the business (or eBusiness) domain. While its
> release 0p70 covers a limited vocabulary should in no way be construed
> as the limitation of their scope. Similarly ontolog's. Our tie-in with
> UBL (besides for historic reasons) also stems from our trust that they
> are on track to becoming a "universal" standard (ISO, maybe?), as
> substantiated by its OASIS, ebXML, UN/CEFACT connections (and the
> myriad of liaisons support it has assembled).
>
>  > ... What are your thoughts on this?
>
> I agree we should do our best to avoid unnecessary duplication of
> efforts and welcome all forms of collaboration. Unlike yours, as an
> open forum, our membership drives the direction we go (the conveners
> are merely facilitators). Once again, I invite your participation, if
> you see potential collaboration between the [ontolog] efforts and your
> initiative.
>
> This dialog should best be exchanged with the forum, rather than with
> me alone.
>
> Best regards,
> PPY
> --
>
> Eli Israel wrote Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:53:00 -0400:
> > Peter,
> >
> >     As I wrote below - we're looking to create a general framework -
> > something that can be used both by an organization to jumpstart their own
> > internal ontology development (be it for metadata management, web services
> > rationalization/discovery, or a similar aim) and by the world at large as a
> > framework for business focused aspects of the semantic web.
> >     Our goal is to create models specific enough to provide a useful
> > framework, but generic enough to be widely applicable and adaptable.
> >     You could think of it as the Silverston or Hay models of the ontology
> > world.
> >
> >     My understanding of your project is that you are focused on creating a
> > detailed ontology of a specific subdomain covered by the UBL.  Am I correct
> > in this?
> >
> >     If so, we have varient, though compatible, aims.
> >     For the parts of your work that are generic, the SBM should reference
> > your work.  Either we could give over completely that section to you, and
> > not aim to recreate your work, or we could explicitly declare congruence (I
> > would opt for the first.)  Certainly, there is little reason to redefine the
> > same domain.  Where your ontology leaves the realm of the generic to descend
> > into UBL specifics I would not look at that as a core part of the SBM, but
> > perhaps an extension.
> >     We would principally want to make sure that our low level elements are
> [...]

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-883-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-883-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA    (05)