ontoiop-forum

Re: [ontoiop-forum] OntoIOp teleconference (n.47): Wed 2013.11.20

To: OntoIOp open discussion <ontoiop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christoph LANGE <math.semantic.web@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 22:28:57 +0100
Hi Till,    (01)

> please find attached a new version of the RFP, where Fabian and I have
> tried to answer all the comments made by Maria and Christoph.    (02)

from reading your replies to these comments I have another, minor
remark.  This is really a side issue, nothing to be mentioned in the RFP.    (03)

You said that the BBC sports ontology is an example of an ontology
written in the logic/language RDF, but that's not the case.  Try for
yourself:    (04)

wget --header 'Accept: application/rdf+xml' -O -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ontologies/sport/    (05)

You will see that it is OWL.    (06)

A lot of plain RDF ontologies, more commonly called linked datasets, can
be found in the linked data cloud at http://lod-cloud.net/ or on
http://datahub.io when filtering by format "RDF"
(http://datahub.io/dataset?tags=format-rdf).    (07)

Try, for example, wget --header 'Accept: application/rdf+xml' -O -
http://dblp.l3s.de/d2r/resource/authors/Till_Mossakowski.    (08)

Ignore the namespace prefixes declared at the top of the XML document –
not all of them are actually used.  There are rdfs:label and
rdfs:seeAlso, but these are merely annotations provided by the RDFS
_language_, which have no semantics in the RDFS _logic_.    (09)

The ontology uses a number of symbols that originally come from OWL
ontologies (e.g. foaf:Agent) – however, under RDF semantics, one should
say that it actually only uses the OWL→RDF projection of these symbols.    (010)

Cheers,    (011)

Christoph    (012)

--
Christoph Lange, Enterprise Information Systems Department
Applied Computer Science @ University of Bonn; Fraunhofer IAIS

→ Web Intelligence, Mining and Semantics (WIMS), Thessaloniki, Greece,
  2–4 June 2014.  Submission until 9 Dec.  http://wims14.csd.auth.gr    (014)