ontoiop-forum

Re: [ontoiop-forum] OntoIOp teleconference (n.47): Wed 2013.11.20

To: ontoiop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Till Mossakowski <mossakow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 19:09:10 +0100
Dear all,    (01)

the OntoIOp telcon will be devoted to the preparation of the
presentation of OntoIOp at the OMG technical meeting in Santa Clara.
Please find attached the latest version of the RFP. We should discuss
especially the revised case studies, please have a look. (We will not
discuss the slides for Santa Clara yet; Fabian will present them at the
OntoIOp meeting in two weeks.)    (02)

Here is a summary of Changes w.r.t. the New Brunswick version of the RFP:    (03)

- Considerable revision and extension of the use cases  (see 6.1).    (04)

- Clarification of the scope of OntoIOP (see 6.2). The goal of OntoIOP
is to provide a metalanguage with a formal semantics that is able to
express the relationships between models written in different modeling
languages. Thus, OntoIOP provides the framework to formally specify
difference in semantics and, thus, obstacles to interoperability. But
OntoIOP is no silver bullet to solve all interoperability problems. --
To show the viability of the approach OntoIOP will include some formal
mappings between ontology languages in an informative annex, but it may
use mappings between specific ontologies as examples.    (05)

- Addition of references that link the mandatory requirements explicitly
to individual use cases (see 6.5).    (06)

- Clarification of the role of metalevel-relationships between languages
(see use case Onto-1 and 6.5.4, 6.5.5). Between two languages (e.g., OWL
and Common Logic) there are more than one translation possible. In a
translation from more a expressive language to a less expressive
language, the translation should be a maximal approximation in some
suitable sense, but OntoIOp is not intended to provide the language to
express how close the approximation is and what information is lost.    (07)

- Clarification concerning conformance criteria (see 6.5.5): Conformance
criteria of OntoIOP must be specified in enough detail such that they
are testable.    (08)

- Significant extension of the bibliography, more references to the
literature (see A.1).    (09)

- Addition of a glossary (see A.2). (First occurrence of terms in the
text are italicized.)    (010)

All the best,
Till    (011)