mphise-talk

Re: [mphise-talk] the MPHISE Conference - Day-1 Panel-1 Briefing-4 - pre

To: "[mphise-talk] " <mphise-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Day, Jamison M" <jmday2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:23:14 -0500

Duane,

I sense you have hit the heart of a major issue. The human mind often approaches “interactively complex” (i.e. complex) problems as if they were only “structurally complex” (i.e. complicated) ones, attempting to apply solutions that would normally work in contexts that adhere to the principles of “proportionality, replication, additivity, and demonstrability of cause and effect.” Unfortunately, inter-organizational disaster relief efforts are “interactively complex”.

Inter-organizational disaster relief efforts, in fact, exhibit nested interactive complexity. The organizations responding to disaster form a complex system, but then each organization itself is a complex system of departments, which are complex systems of people (who’s neural nets can be seen as complex systems…).

Furthermore, these systems are not just “complex”, but they are adaptive, exhibiting dynamic learning. Therefore, the same influence that can illicit a certain individual (or system) behavior one day (hour, minute, second) might induce a counter-productive behavior the next.

During my presentation, I will address how we can (relatively) reliably encourage continuous improvements in collective system behavior despite the complex and adaptive nature of the inter-organizational response.

Jamison

PS: For the interested, I have attached a paper (currently under review) that contextualizes disaster relief efforts as inter-organizational complex adaptive systems. Also, here are some additional definitions of complexity from an inter-organizational perspective:

Pathak, Day, Nair, Sawaya, Krystal, “Complexity and Adaptivity in Supply Networks: Building Supply Network Theory Using a Complex Adaptive Systems Perspective,” Decision Sciences, Vol. 38, No. 4, Nov. 2007, pp. 547-579

(p. 559)

Complexity vs. Complicatedness:

The distinction between “complicated” research and “complexity-oriented” research is important for ensuring a broad-based research agenda. Cilliers (2000) suggests that something that is complicated can be intricate but the relationship between the components is fixed and well-defined. For instance, a jumbo jet is a complicated system, which is amenable to taking individual components apart and putting them back together. In contrast, a complex system is characterized in terms of the nonlinear dynamic interactions of the individual parts. Further, while a complicated system can be viewed as the sum of its parts, a complex system cannot be viewed that way—one cannot predict the behavior of a complex system by examining the behavior of its individual parts. These emergent properties of complex systems are due to the nonlinear dynamic relationship between the individual components.

(pp. 550-551)

A complex adaptive system (CAS) is an interconnected network of multiple entities (or agents) that exhibit adaptive action in response to changes in both the environment and the system of entities itself (Choi et al., 2001). Collective system performance or behavior emerges as a nonlinear and dynamic function of the large number of activities made in parallel by interacting entities. For example, the individual decisions made by firms facing imperfect information and variable demand leads to a globally observed phenomenon, i.e., the bullwhip effect (Lee & Padmanabhan, 1997). Anderson (Anderson, 1999) outlined four common properties of such systems. First, a CAS consists of entities which interact with other entities and with the environment by following a set of simple decision rules (i.e. schema). These entities may evolve over time as entities learn from their interactions. In contrast to relational modeling, which tries to use one set of variables to explain variation in another set of variables, CAS examines how changes in an individual entity’s schema lead to different aggregate outcomes.

Second, complex adaptive systems are self-organizing. Self-organization is a consequence of interactions between entities. Self-organization is defined as a process in which new structures, patterns and properties emerge without being externally imposed on the system. Because the behavior in complex systems comes from dynamic interactions among the agents and between the environment and the agents, the changes tend to be non-linear with respect to the original changes in the system. Thus, there may be small changes which have a dramatic effect on the system, or conversely, large changes which have relatively little effect. Choi et al. (2001, pp. 357) state, “the behavior of a complex system cannot be written down in closed form; it is not amenable to prediction via the formulation of a parametric model, such as a statistical forecasting model.” However, even though the future may not be possible to predict in an exact manner, the future may be non-random. While the changes that are made to a system may be dramatic and unpredictable, there may be patterns of behavior that can be considered prototypical. Appropriate analyses may yield some knowledge of key patterns of behavior that are likely to develop in the system over time.

Third, complex adaptive systems co-evolve to the edge of chaos. Choi et al. (2001) explains co-evolution positing that a CAS reacts to and creates its environment so that as the environment changes it may cause the agents within it to change, who, in turn, cause other changes to the environment. A CAS exhibits dynamism as changes occur in the environment which affects the system. Environmental factors may cause changes to which the agents must adapt, influencing the way agents perceive their environment or the schema used by the agents themselves. Thus, the rules followed by the individual entities organize the system, since individual entities are not privy to the objective function of the system as a whole. The co-evolution of the system happens in the rugged fitness landscapes in which the CAS exists. These landscapes may be thought of in terms of an analogy of a range of mountains that represents an objective function (i.e. performance function) that is filled with hills and valleys (Kauffman, 1995). The hills or peaks represent the desired optimal states, where a “rugged landscape” has many peaks surrounded by deep valleys.

Fourth, complex adaptive systems are recursive by nature and they recombine and evolve over time. From a   macroeconomic view point  it can be posited that industry supply networks are inter-related within a national or international context and interact together as a CAS in a larger context (Arthur, Durlauf, & Lane, 1997). Thus, a complex adaptive system is often composed of entities which can themselves be characterized as CASs comprised of smaller constituents (a nested hierarchy of smaller scale complex systems). Changes in these smaller systems and even in individual entities can cause the entire system to change over time.