mphise-talk

Re: [mphise-talk] ontology-team conference call Mon 2009.03.30

To: "[mphise-talk]" <mphise-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bob Smith <bobsmithttl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:21:38 -0700
This PPT from George Hurlburt is an excellent statement!!!

I especially like the first slide showing a human yelling at a laptop, with the explanation that ... we should be humble about the stability assumptions of a design and deeply consider the socio-technical aspects of the system design, especially at the edges:

" ...Data that should map from one database to another is either sometimes dependent upon a highly flexible schema, filthy at its source, or significantly nuanced in meaning to require significant semantic mapping.

Worst of all, environmental changes ranging from new threats, politics, resulting doctrinal shifts, resource driven procedural workarounds, sudden addition or deletion of influential federates or a myriad of other pragmatic operating factors create near chaos in carefully crafted static architectures, even if ontologically driven.
In essence, experience demonstrates that few processes really remain static in today’s highly accelerated environment. Thus, it is unrealistic to consider static architectures will last long into even the system design phase, much less their related and unifying ontological structures. Rather knowledge flows incrementally as we continually assimilate new information"

Is this the same George F. Hurlburt who authored "An Ethical Analysis of Automation, Risk, and the Financial Crises of 2008"?

IF so, the summary of that article posted on the IEEE website is informative:

The unprecedented financial market volatility of 2008 has profound implications. Although there is plenty of "blame" to be shared, some key elements of the instability are relatively straightforward to identify.

The authors contend that a fundamental, underlying cause is the cavalier approach taken to applied risk management, an approach that was only possible because of the use (and some would say abuse) of automation.

This article examines ethical issues associated with general behaviors leading to the market volatility of 2008.

It then isolates some related ethical factors that can be singularly attributed to automation.

While the effects of market automation can't be realistically blamed for the overall market situation, automation certainly contributed to and still contributes to market uncertainty.

Some of this uncertainty is due not merely to automation but to decisions made as risk management was automated. These findings are reinforced by research work employing latent semantic analysis (LSA).

Index Terms:

IT professional, economic meltdown, automation, ethics, latent semantic analysis (LSA)

Citation:

http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/MITP.2009.2

George F. Hurlburt, Keith W. Miller, Jeffrey M. Voas, "An Ethical Analysis of Automation, Risk, and the Financial Crises of 2008," IT Professional, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 14-19, Jan./Feb. 2009, doi:10.1109/MITP.2009.2

Cheers,

Bob