bsp-forum

Re: [bsp-forum] Fwd: [ontolog-forum] [Fwd: The Open Group SOA Ontology]

To: "BSP Forum" <bsp-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Deborah MacPherson" <debmacp@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:52:16 -0400

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Considine, Toby (Campus Services IT) <Toby.Considine@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I can feel our minds meeting.

Great!

Aside from those doing building analytics, how much of the process details do we need in the IDMs?

Just a quick glance at NBIMSv1, which is not the only driving factor, IDM (Information Delivery Manual) not only applies to work groups in the consensus process but also user facing for IFC dependent models....to facilitate identification and documentation of information exchange processes and requirements - PERFECT!

So in that sense - it would be only those process details necessary for identification and documentation in the ontology being created, for the IDMs to play out in (machine readable) standards or (human readable) user view involves additional steps and feedback to get to MVD model view definitions where the two meet in the middle, supported by software applications - all further downstream.

I would hazard that in most buildings designed and built today, the control systems, quite simply, are not designed. To the extent they are designed, they are not implemented. A sub-contractor of the mechanical sub (for hvac) designs the actual control system while standing on a mud-bucket in the hallway.

However, one system I needed to talk with CSI forum about the number, and always have a ton of markups for MEP is the Building Control System - maybe this could be a test case mainly because there is a tendency for the BCS to be "controlled by the Div23 contractor" kinds of nonsense.....

I think the future of mechanical systems is autonomous controllers that discover what it is they have actually got, and then tune themselves.

Right, probably Michelle can illuminate current manufacturing views

I think the future of design for mechanical should be to specify performance and cost per SF, where cost may be expressed in terms of energy to isolate it from volatile energy prices.

But still need to check you are specifying the right performance though - it works just fine for windows and curtainwalls, why not MEP as it lives on.

I think the future of design for elevators should be to specify the service levels desired (speed, weight, responsiveness) and make the bidder be responsible for it. Performance contracting – re-defined from inspecting how bolts are tightened down to service performance.

Performance specifying and contracting makes everything more competitive which is good but somehow the schedule of values or submittals or something will need to record what was actually provided.....

Deb

tc

"When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." -- Alexander Graham Bell

Toby Considine

Chair, OASIS oBIX TC
Facilities Technology Office
University of North Carolina