OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Metadata Workshop-I - Fri 2011_03_18    (2MRJ)

Topic: OOR Metadata Workshop-I    (2Q8X)

Session Chair: MichaelGruninger    (2Q8Y)

Archives:    (2Q91)

Conference Call Details:    (2MRK)

Attendees    (2MS7)

Agenda Ideas    (2Q7A)

please insert agenda ideas below ...    (2Q7B)

Abstract:    (2Q8Z)

The Future of Ontology Metadata? by MichaelGruninger    (2Q8C)

      [ slides ]    (2Q90)

This meeting will kickoff the discussion of the use of ontology metadata within OOR.    (2Q95)

MichaelGruninger will present a few slides to start the discussion. Of primary importance will be the identification of use cases within OOR that can be used to evaluate the adequacy of OMV (Ontology Metadata Vocabulary) for OOR and to propose any new extensions.    (2Q8D)

References:    (2Q8Q)

Agenda & Proceedings    (2MSH)

1. Meeting called to order:    (2Q96)

2. Roll Call:    (2Q9A)

3. Key items for review and discussion today:    (2Q9C)

3.1 Opening: The Future of Ontology Metadata? - by MichaelGruninger    (2Q9D)

3.2 Discussion:    (2Q9E)

3.3 IM Chat Transcript captured during the session:    (2Q9F)

 see raw transcript here.    (2Q9G)
 (for better clarity, the version below is a re-organized and lightly edited chat-transcript.)
 Participants are welcome to make light edits to their own contributions as they see fit.    (2Q9H)
 -- begin in-session chat-transcript --    (2Q9I)
	[06:00] PeterYim: Welcome to the ...    (2QDO)
	OpenOntologyRepository: OOR Metadata Workshop-I - Fri 2011_03_18    (2MRJ)    (2QDP)
	Topic: OOR Metadata Workshop-I    (2Q8X)    (2QDQ)
	Session Chair: MichaelGruninger    (2Q8Y)    (2QDR)
	Please see details on session page
	at:    (2QDS)
	PeterYim: MichaelGruninger briefs group with his presentation "The Future of Ontology Metadata?" ... essentially to start the discussion today    (2QDT)
	LeoObrst: ref. the discussion about "configuration" from the Architecture-API workshops in the 
        last couple of weeks    (2QDU)
	PeterYim: see references under:    (2QDV)
	MichaelGruninger: Earlier OOR meetings have introduced the notion of configuration.  
        How is this related to the specification of relationships between modules.    (2QDW)
	ToddSchneider: Leo, are you talking about historical usage information?    (2QDX)
	ToddSchneider: Maybe whatever OOR uses for metadata needs to be modular itself.    (2QDY)
	MichaelGruninger: What is the distinction between semantic versioning and ontology versioning 
        that is closer to software versioning (a la SVN and CVS)    (2QDZ)
	PeterYim: assuming metadata (requirement, implementing into gatekeeping, etc.) is a key piece 
        of the puzzle ... How do we move from "sandbox" to "production" OOR ... maybe we can use that 
        as our use case scenario that might drive this discussion    (2QE0)
	MichaelGruninger: We should make a distinction between two different scenarios -- 1) we have a 
        use case that requires metadata that in some way conflicts with OMV; 2) we have a use case that 
        requires new kinds of metadata.  If all of our use cases are in the same category, then we can 
        adopt OMV but develop / propose our own extensions.    (2QE1)
	KenBaclawski: See for the use cases that have been 
        collected so far.    (2QE2)
	ToddSchneider: We will review OOR use cases that will require additional elements for OMV or 
        elements of OMV that are inconsistent with OMV.    (2QE3)
	MikeDean: There's a good depiction of OMV at  
        I assume it's current.    (2QE4)
	PeterYim: Thanks, Mike - I've added that to the OMV page on our wiki as well 
        -    (2QE5)
	MikeDean: Michael has been using the v2.4.1 report, which includes the v2.4 figure link above.  
        Reviewer is part of the Evaluation extension.    (2QE6)
	Frank Olken: Michael,  What software tools are you using for the development of the COLORE ontologies?    (2QE7)
	MichaelGruninger: @Frank: We are mainly building our own tools, but Cameron Ross at Kojeware 
        has also been developing Common Logic parsers, validators, editors, etc    (2QE8)
	Tim Darr: @Michael: are those tools available? KBSI might be interested in using them.    (2QE9)
	MichaelGruninger: @Tim: Contact Cameron (cross[at]    (2QEA)
	Tim Darr: @Michael: Thanks!    (2QEB)
	Frank Olken: Does OMV have any notion of authoritative source documents (e.g., legal code, 
        federal regulation, etc.) for an ontology?    (2QEC)
	Frank Olken: Some of the issues (e.g., administrative metadata) are addressed by ISO/IEC 11179 
        (Edition 3 of Part 3 is currently being progressed to a new ISO standard.)    (2QED)
	Frank Olken: ISO/IEC 11179 is described in UML - could be converted OWL  (Kevin Keck may 
        have done this.)    (2QEE)
	Frank Olken: ISO/IEC 11179 is a generic metadata registry standard.    (2QEF)
	KenBaclawski: @Frank: The gatekeeper prototype is based on ISO/IEC 11179, but it is not yet 
        integrated with the OOR sandbox.    (2QEG)
	PeterYim: ref. the "gatekeeping" & "workflow" in the Architecture discussion 
        - specifically:    (2QEH)
	PeterYim: the issue of the OOR providing a persistent URI for a ontology, or the 
        finer granular parts of it, when the ontology moves from different repository instances 
        (as in federated OORs) and from version to version - that needs to be discussed in the 
        context of metadata, as well as independently    (2QEI)
	MichaelGruninger: Action Item 1: Evaluate the adequacy of OMV with respect to the 
        OOR use cases at    (2QEJ)
	MichaelGruninger: Action Item 2: Focus on issues related to "production" OOR, particularly 
        the gatekeeper functionality.    (2QEK)
	PeterYim: @Michael and All - please review the summary take-away of this meeting (as Michael described 
        it just now)    (2QEL)
	PeterYim: next Friday (Mar-25) is a Architecture-API workshop again    (2QEM)
	PeterYim: after that, we should have a regular OOR team meeting (Apr-1)    (2QEN)
	PeterYim: we can consider what to do for Apr-8 then (at the Apr-1 meeting) ... noting that 
        Ken will be away for 2 weeks (until Apr-11) after he runs the Mar-25  Architecture-API workshop    (2QEO)
	PeterYim: great meeting, bye!    (2QEP)
	PeterYim: -- session ended: 7:26am PDT --    (2QEQ)
 -- end of in-session chat-transcript --    (2Q9J)

4. Any Other Business:    (2Q9K)

5. Action items:    (2Q9L)

6. Schedule Next Meeting & Adjourn:    (2Q9M)

 notes taken by: PeterYim / 2011.03.18-7:58am PDT
 All participants, please review and edit to enhance accuracy and granularity of the documented proceedings.    (2Q9U)

Resources    (2Q9V)