RE: [uos-convene] "common" upper ontology?

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 09:07:12 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

For me "community" is too far from "ontology" in this. I suggest:    (02)

(2) Each of the existing upper ontologies differs in specifics of
implementation, but we all agree that use of some formally defined
common upper ontology by an organization or community is the most
cost-effective method for achieving semantic interoperability that
can scale from a few applications to diverse knowledge-based
reasoning systems.    (03)

Regards    (04)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (05)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (06)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (08)