RE: [uos-convene] Endorsements

To: "Upper Ontology Summit convention" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:47:21 -0000
Dear Bill,    (01)

BFO does not switch between 3D and 4D views. It takes a 4D position for
processes (occurrents) and a 3D position for physical objects (continuants).    (02)

So the BFO position on physical objects is not compatible with the ISO 15926
position on physical objects. To make the point as clear as possible, for BFO
physical objects cannot have temporal parts (states) for ISO 15926 physical
objects do have temporal parts (states).    (03)

Further, ISO 15926 allows/requires some activities to also be physical objects,
e.g. you and your living process are the same thing in ISO 15926 (they have
the same spatio-temporal extent and so must be). For BFO this is impossible
since the process is extended in time, but the physical object passes
through it, so the person and their living process are different objects
(that then need to be related).    (04)

These are not the only differences, but they are right at the core of the
ontologies, and are the reason why I think it is more productive to keep
3D (e.g. BFO) and 4D (e.g. ISO 15926) as separate core theories that people
can choose from, rather than trying to find something common in them.    (05)

At a mid and lower level of ontology I think there is much that can be
shared that might loosely be called taxonomy. So the taxonomy of the anamal
and plant kingdoms. If these are kept as theories independent of whether
our upper ontology is 3D or 4D then they can be used by either.    (06)

What I am not in favour of is a fudge.    (07)

Regards    (08)

Matthew    (09)

Community Wiki: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UpperOntologySummit    (011)