[uos-convene] Some Issues

To: "'Upper Ontology Summit convention'" <uos-convene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Schoening, James R C-E LCMC CIO/G6" <James.Schoening@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:13:40 -0500

Greetings,

        Here are some issues:  (I'll introduce myself in a follow-up message)

        Assuming our objective is not hype, we need a better handle on the actual maturity of this technology before we issue any statement.  To do this, we must:

                a. Define the target capabilities (e.g. improved search, cross-domain queries, decision support, etc.).  The technology might be mature for some things but a pipe-dream for other capabilities.

                b. Adopt a Technology Readiness Level (TRL) scale.  This will help us rate the level of maturity, and also define the next level  that needs to be achieved.  A 9-Level Software Readiness Level scale is attached, which could be modified or used as-is for now.

                c. Be able to 'show' examples of the maturity, which are open to scrutiny.

        I believe a structured and closer look at the technology maturity will better define the next candidate steps.

        Now, let me introduce myself.    I started and Chaired the IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee about 10 years ago, which revealed the need for interoperable metadata and learning content. I then started the IEEE Standard Upper Ontology Working Group, which developed (or attempted to advance) a variety of documents including SUMO, Open Cyc, IFF, Lattice of Theories, 4D Ontology, and MSO, but none had enough votes to pass as a standard.  I funded the contract with Teknowledge under which Adam Pease developed the original SUMO.  I work for the U.S. Army, but no longer in this field.  My goal in attending this summit is to see if I can regain hope in the potential benefits for my employer, and if so, to work on a strategy for starting up an R&D program.

James R. Schoening
U.S. Army C-E LCMC CIO/G6 Office
Ft. Monmouth, NJ 07703
Voice: DSN 992-5812 or (732) 532-5812