Re: [uom-ontology-std] "Indirect property" - more

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joe Collins <joseph.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 10:30:49 -0500

On Oct 2, 2009, at 9:29 AM, Joe Collins wrote:    (01)

> I am afraid that I'm not quite clear on the definition of "direct" and
> "indirect" with respect to quantities. Re-definition in terms of
> "manifestation"
> and "dispositional" don't help me much.
>
> Perhaps if I try to parrot back what has been discussed in my own
> terms, you can
> tell me whether or not I've got it.
>

> A direct quantity is an estimate of an attribute of a physical
> object determined
> by an actual measurement event.
>
> An indirect quantity is a hypothetical estimate of an attribute of a
> physical
> object, not referring to an actual measurement event, but to the
> possibility of
> such an event.
>    (02)

Forgive me, but I think this is confused. This is not a distinction
between kinds of quantity. If I (a) actually measure the weight of
something, or (b) hypothetically estimate the weight of that thing, it
is the same *quantity* - weight - that is being talked about in the
two cases. The difference is one of modality, not of quantity type.
The quantity itself is not completely determined by the nature of the
event or even hypothetical event that is used to measure it.    (03)

And anyway, this distinction seems to have nothing at all to do with
the distinction (between properties, not qualities) that David is
referring to.    (04)

Pat    (05)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (07)