Re: [uom-ontology-std] "Indirect property" - more

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: David Leal <david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 16:14:03 +0100
Dear Joe,    (01)

What I am saying is simpler than that.    (02)

If we interpret the magnitude of length expressed as "30 m" as an
equivalence class of point pairs, then the statement:    (03)

 my_pair has_a_separation_of 30m     (04)

is merely a statement of classification.    (05)

The statement:    (06)

 my_ship has_a_waterline_length_of 30m    (07)

is not a statement of classification.    (08)

The relationship between my_ship and 30m is "indirect". It relies upon:
- relationship between my_ship and the two points at the intersection of the
waterline plane, the plane of symmetry, and the outside of the ship;
- the classification of that point pair as a member of 30m.    (09)

Either statement can result more or less directly from a measurement process.    (010)

Best regards,
David    (011)

At 10:29 02/10/2009 -0400, you wrote:
>I am afraid that I'm not quite clear on the definition of "direct" and
>"indirect" with respect to quantities. Re-definition in terms of
"manifestation"
>and "dispositional" don't help me much.
>
>Perhaps if I try to parrot back what has been discussed in my own terms,
you can
>tell me whether or not I've got it.
>

>A direct quantity is an estimate of an attribute of a physical object
determined
>by an actual measurement event.
>
>An indirect quantity is a hypothetical estimate of an attribute of a physical
>object, not referring to an actual measurement event, but to the
possibility of
>such an event.
>

>jbc
>--
>_______________________________
>Joseph B. Collins, Ph.D.
>Code 5583, Adv. Info. Tech.
>Naval Research Laboratory
>Washington, DC 20375
>(202) 404-7041
>(202) 767-1122 (fax)
>B34, R221C

David Leal
CAESAR Systems Limited
registered office: 29 Somertrees Avenue, Lee, London SE12 0BS
registered in England no. 2422371
tel:      +44 (0)20 8857 1095
mob:      +44 (0)77 0702 6926
e-mail:   david.leal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx