Re: [uom-ontology-std] retitled: Units of an angle

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gunther Schadow <gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:09:40 -0400
Patrick Cassidy wrote:
> Just a comment on one point in Ingvar's last note:
>
> On mass:
>> 3. You write: "and in middle school we learn that each kind of such
>> particles has a mass which can be computed as the sum of the mass of
>> its constituents." Not EACH kind of particle. Photons and neutrinos
>> have no mass.
>>
> Photons have relativistic mass, though no rest mass; neutrinos actually have
> a very small rest mass (according to the latest info I have).  The "mass" we
> measure is relativistic mass, and I don't think any distinction is required
> in the units ontology (though it would be in an ontology of physics).
> Relativistic mass is a very useful concept because it provides a simple
> definition of 'physical object' as an Object (primitive concept) that has
> some mass; that would include photons and any other fundamental particles
> that have relativistic mass.    (01)

I love these little nit-picks if I only had the time :)    (02)

Actually I said "each kind of SUCH particles" (that are the constituents
of matter, namely atoms and molecules, as taught in elementary school)
Those constraints I made precluded photons and neutrinos, also quarks
and leptons, hadrons whether mesons, baryons, positrons or even electrons,
regardless of whether they have a rest mass or not.     (03)

-Gunther    (04)

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                  gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Associate Professor           Indiana University School of Informatics

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this message and any files
transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged
information and are intended solely for the use of the named
addressee(s). Additionally, the information contained herein may have
been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality
protected by federal and state laws. Federal regulations and State
laws prohibit you from making further disclosure of such information
without the specific written consent of the person to whom the
information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A
general authorization for the release of medical or other information
is not sufficient for this purpose. If you have received this message
in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the
original message. Any retention, disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.    (06)