Re: [uom-ontology-std] retitled: Units of an angle

To: uom-ontology-std <uom-ontology-std@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joe Collins <joseph.collins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:45:32 -0400

 From my understanding, ISO only tries to cover its costs by charging for the
standards documents. (And standards documents are never runaway bestsellers). I
believe that if you're trying to develop an ontology consistent with the
technical use, it is a must read. You may find copies in local technical or
reference libraries.    (01)

I have a no copying allowed, watermarked pdf, but it seems I could copy and
paste this excerpt:
+++++++snip++++++++
3.2
kind of quantity
aspect common to mutually comparable quantities    (02)

NOTES    (03)

1 — The division of the concept ‘quantity’ into several kinds is to some extent
arbitrary.
EXAMPLES
a) The quantities diameter, circumference, and wavelength are generally
considered to be quantities of the same kind, namely, of the kind of quantity
called length.
b) The quantities heat, kinetic energy, and potential energy, are generally
considered to be quantities of the same kind, namely, of the kind of quantity
called energy.    (04)

2 — Quantities of the same kind within a given system of quantities have the
same quantity dimension. However, quantities of the same dimension are not
necessarily of the same kind.    (05)

EXAMPLE
The quantities moment of force and energy are, by convention, not regarded as
being of the same kind, although they have the same dimension. Similarly for
heat capacity and entropy, as well as for number of entities, relative
permeability, and mass fraction.    (06)

3 — In English, the terms for quantities in the left half of the table in 1.1,
Note 1, are often used for the corresponding 'kinds of quantity'. In French,
the
term “nature” is only used in expressions such as “grandeurs de même nature”
(in
English, “quantities of the same kind”).    (07)

++++++++snip++++++++    (08)

I interpret the statement:
"The division of the concept ‘quantity’ into several kinds is to some extent
arbitrary."
and the phrase "generally considered" to mean it's up to individual user
communities to fully develop the notion of "kind" as relating to quantities.    (09)

Note that "moment of force" (or torque) when multiplied by angle (radians)
becomes energy.    (010)

R/jbc    (011)

--
Joseph B. Collins, Ph.D.