[Top] [All Lists]

[socop-forum] Draft Aug SOCoP Meeting minutes

To: Socop Forum <socop-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Krzysztof Janowicz <jano@xxxxxxx>
From: Gary Berg-Cross <gbergcross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:27:53 -0400
Message-id: <AANLkTi=_XkeqWe1L1dHJyGtfS0hWw5dN+C_njSwr_A6k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
SOCoP Meeting Minutes from  Wednesday SOCoP Meeting Aug.  25 2010 from
11:00 - 12:00 EDT    (01)

 Attendees/Participants Gary Berg-Cross (Knowledge Strategies), Dave
Kolas (BBN Technologies), Nancy Wiegand (U of Wisconsin )  Krzysztof
Janowicz (Penn State, James Wilson (JMU), Dalia Vernanka (USGS), Mike
Dean (BBN Technologies), Carl Diebert (Sandia Labs),  Josh Liebermann
(Traverse Technologies), Laura Reece ( TASC)    (02)

Following introductions the following were discussed:    (03)

1.      Workplan for 2010 including:    (04)

         a.        Update on the ongoing Demo development.    (05)

While Todd could not participate he provided a summary of the demo’s
progress.  The SameAs service complete enough to use. Here is how it
works.  One  can submit a URI and the service will return owl:sameAs
triples for the given URI. The demo  also supports a placename search
that will return any URIs that has the given placename attached to it
(rdfs:label). The other main query operation is a bounding box search
that returns any URIs in a given GeoRSS Box submitted by a client.    (06)

This search service still needs to be populated with some initial data
(as discussed in the previous meeting in concert with available USGS
data). When populated it will then plug easily into the Marble Linked
Data browser service which is what the user will see and query. Todd
estimates that he  probably has 1-2 weeks of loose end coding, fixes
and data population and the be ready  and hosted on the web.    (07)

Followed the summary Josh mentioned that he would also like to
revitalize open vocabulary effort that Todd had launched early. This
might be useful for query expansion.  As a first step to work more
directly with GeOSS. They seem to have a long view on some of these
things so haven’t made much progress yet.  We might help getting to
dynamic aspects of managing and using vocabularies. This would start
as an online effort to be followed by a meeting.  One thought for this
was the GISciences next month in Zurich. (GIScience 2010 Sixth
international conference on Geographic Information Science, Sep 14-18,
2010 Zurich, Switzerland, Website: Krzysztof
noted that he will be there and doing a demo.    (08)

        b.         Update on USGS integrated National Map (TNM)    (09)

Dalia provided an update on the USGS data becoming available.  There
are 2 types of data - we have names (point data) and
hydrography-watershed (line/poly data) for all of our sample
geographical area datasets converted.   Not all of the data are on the
download site yet because USGS wants to do more validation before they
are released. There is  data of the 9 geographical areas:    (010)

Watersheds: Pomme de Terre, MO; Upper Suwannee, GA-FL; Lower Prairie
Dog Town Fork of the Red, TX; Lower Beaver, UT; South Branch of the
Potomac, WV; and the Piceance-Yellow, CO;    (011)

Urban Areas: Atlanta, GA; St. Louis, MO; and New Haven, CT.    (012)

 Data for the two themes came out to about 8 million triples.    (013)

USGS is currently  loaded  SPARQL endpoints onto the shared Virtuoso
server and we're using GML to produce small graphics/maps in response
to SPARQL queries, so that the results are not just lines of
characters.    (014)

As mentioned they are still validating the data as required by USGS
culture so the data is  not cleared for public use yet but they are
aiming for 2 weeks from now.   After that the SOCoP community can look
at it to see the data makes sense.  Dalia indicated that they will
handle special requests.
The  URL to some of the data ( no account needed) is:    (015)

Dalia indicated that Todd and John Carter at USGS are in touch to
share data for the demo.    (016)

          c.        Plans for the Fall workshop and STIDS paper
Dave doesn’t have any update on the STIDS paper and after a brief
discussion on the paper people agreed that there was not enough time
to complete a good paper.
Gary reported that we currently have not found a spot to hold a
meeting on Oct 26th which is the day before STIDS.  He will ask MITRE
again about other possible dates.    (017)

 3.      Update on NSF proposal    (018)

Nancy checked web site and our proposal has been recommended to the
grants division. It may take up to 4 weeks to hear and there are no
guarantees but Nancy is hopeful.  The result is that we are still in a
wait mode.
Gary asked if we were to  be funded in a few weeks would we try to
hold a workshop in fall as discussed in the proposal.  Nancy and
others thought that it was  best to regroup and use the time to update
our thinking and reach out to communities so we would be ready for
when they would meet.
There was some things we might think about in the interim.  Nancy had
looked into using Hubzero as part of the cyberinfrastructure (see but has not created an  instance at Wisconsin.    (019)

One thing to think about is a use case (and vocabulary) for a first
community with specific examples. People who had read the NSF review
noted that they mentioned that we didn’t talk about remote sensing
data.  This is an important area and Luis Bermudez could perhaps give
examples of useful data and maybe a use case.    (020)

James said the remote sensing is a very broad would have to consider
which type of observation, satellite or UAV  produces the data.  Josh
noted that there are several  discussions within OGC, but also in the
wider Sensor Web world, about the level of detail needed to represent
observations. There is a conceptual Observations & Measurements model
put together by Simon Cox which is not explicitly semantic but carries
much of the detail needed to construct an ontology. Others would like
to keep it simpler and simple treat observations more as data, with
properties which represent measurements of phenomena; there is
movement to construct a more dictionary-like ontology of phenomena
without referring much to the observation-measurement process.    (021)

The problem is that simplicity breaks down pretty quickly because the
observational process really does matter. This shows up particularly
in representations of time. It becomes hard to interpret observations
such as satellite images without multiple time indicators - the time
the image was acquired, the times it was processed e.g. into an
orthophoto, delivered and published, the oldest acquisition time
within a given mosaic, the times that imagery will be acquired and
available relative to planned activity in an area. Observations/
observing event just become much less useful when one attempts to
separate them from the processes that produce them and the phenomena
being observed, but it can also be a lot of complexity and subtlety to
deal with.    (022)

Krzysztof discussed a few aspect of the semantic tangle on this and
how people are  extending  from the earlier math models to metadata.    (023)

4.      Other Items/New Business
Laura mentioned ontology workshop as part of the Wuhan (aka Yunnan)
China study group meeting.    (024)

See for information on JTC1    (025)

Laura will have more information later on SC32/38 status etc. from the workshop.    (026)

Laura also mentioned an NGA metadata summit this Fall that SOCoP might
link to our grant effort. Nancy thought that this sounded like a good
idea.    (027)

Laura also thought that individual members might have some additional
idea for the Summit about use of ontologies with/for/as metadata for
spatial work. If so they can send them to Laura (LAURA.REECE@xxxxxxxx)
by the end of the week    (028)

Josh had one idea about temporal issue in remote sensing timing for
imagery issue.  metadata frameworks don’t address this and he could
write up some of this up for discussion at the Summit.    (029)

James mentioned Association of American Geographers (AAG) spring
meeting in Seattle which will include some discussion of  temporal
 Space-time analysis is a rapidly growing research frontier in
geography, GIS, and GIScience. Advances in integrated GPS/GIS
technologies, the availability of large datasets (over time and
space), and increased capacity to manage, integrate, model and
visualize complex data in (near) real time, offer the GIS and
geography communities extraordinary opportunities to begin to
integrate sophisticated space-time analysis and models in the study of
complex environmental and social systems, from climate change to
infectious disease transmission.
This special Symposium builds on momentum from a space-time analysis
workshop co-sponsored by the AAG, ESRI, the University of Redlands,
and University of Southern California in early 2010, as well as
several other initiatives during the past few years. Geographers,
GIScientists, modelers, computer programmers, GPS/GIS systems
scientists, climate change scientists, epidemiologists, ecologists,
planners, transportation experts, and others with active research
expertise in integrating space–time in GIS and geography are
encouraged to participate in this special symposium.
This special Symposium will open with plenary sessions led by
prominent theorists and pioneers in time-space GIScience and
technology research.    (030)

 See    (031)

There being no other Items/New Business the group set a tentative date
for the next planned meting as Wed Sept 22nd 2010.    (032)

Gary Berg-Cross,Ph.D.
SOCoP Executive Secretary
Knowledge Strategies
Semantic Technology
Potomac, MD
240-426-0770    (033)

Msg Archives:   
Unsubscribe: mailto:socop-forum-leave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Community Shared Files: 
Community Wiki:     (034)
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • [socop-forum] Draft Aug SOCoP Meeting minutes, Gary Berg-Cross <=