Re: [oor-forum] OOR Team Conference Call - Fri 2011.08.05 - Proceedings

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 09:24:58 -0700
Dear All,    (01)

Thank to those who were present at the meeting, we had a very
productive meeting today.    (02)

Key items discussed included:    (03)

1. Ref. the newly adopted dual-track OOR approach (ref.
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2011_08_05#nid2WAU
)    (04)

Action plan:    (05)

*  we will be running (for now) 2 instances - a sandbox instance[1] on
the OOR-01 vm, and an experimental instance[2] on the OOR-02 vm
(2WBN)    (06)

**  [1] this will be a straight forward, and updated BioPortal code
install, with customization only for: the logo, the IP / License
statement, categories.    (2WBO)    (07)

** [2] this will be the instance we use to continue the current work
of further development in Architecture, API, metadata, CL support,
etc.    (2WBP)    (08)

** consensus: both instances would use the same database (so
ontologies uploaded are accessible by both instances, and are
obviously "in sync" ... saving us the need to "import" as we ad
discussed at the last meeting)    (2WBQ)    (09)

* Once the sandbox[1] is in place, with the categories updated, we
will be soliciting everyone to upload / re-upload their ontologies
back into the OOR-sandbox again. ... watch out for this call!    (010)

2. we spent time discussing/adopting an initial list of categories -
see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2011_08_05#nid2WAS
... We agreed to leave it simple (one level) and support "addition of
categories" on demand, but recognized that there is still room for
discussion and possible improvement.
If you have an urge to add another important category or two at this
point, please provide you input NOW (by replying to this list within
the next couple of days) ... since this change is going in 9and is in
the critical path of our "upgraded OOR Sandbox" roll out.    (011)

3.  Barring serious objections, we are going to move the regular
weekly meeting time slot (from the current Fridays 1.5-hours, start
time 6:00am PDT) to Tuesdays 11:30am ET / 8:30am PT / 5:30pm CET. This
would be a good compromise, and allow those of us from California, to
attend the future meeting at a more reasonable time. ... However, if
you have objections to this change, PLEASE VOICE IT NOW, by providing
your suggested alternative(s), please include rationale (why that is
better for the team), within the next 2 weeks.    (012)

3a.  we also decided, since a lot of people are not available in
August (due to the summer holidays), that this is our only August
meeting. We will resume our weekly meetings in September.    (013)

3b.  our next regular OOR team meeting is now scheduled for the first
Tuesday of September, i.e. on Tue 2011.09.06 - 1.5 Hrs. starting
11:30am EDT / 8:30am PDT / 5:30pm CEST / 15:30 UTC - ref. worldclock:
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20110906T0830&p1=224
 (note: that Monday is Labor Day in the US).    (014)

3c.  the next "Architecture & API - VII" workshop (championed by
KenBaclawski & ToddSchneider) is going to be on Tue 2011.09.13 1.0~1.5
Hrs. starting 11:30am EDT / 8:30am PDT / 5:30pm CEST / 15:30 UTC    (015)

3d.  now that we are we working with straight BioPortal code again (in
one of our public OOR instances), we hope to be better coordinated
with the NCBO team so as to develop synergies between our efforts. We
are planning to have a meeting between the BioPortal team and the OOR
team some time soon. Candidates date could be Tue 2011.09.20 or 27
(same time slot, preferably) ... stay tuned!    (016)

Regards.  =ppy    (017)

p.s.  Watch out too! ... the voting for the logo will finally be
coming out soon (my apologies for the earlier delays.) In addition to
the number of votes one had before (in the first round), those who
voted in the first round will get one more vote, which they can cast.
We have also decided that those votes can be split (as preferred by
the voter) between the two design candidates.
--    (018)