Re: [oor-forum] FW: [Fwd: BioPortal 2.5 Released]

To: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "'edbark@xxxxxxxx'" <edbark@xxxxxxxx>, "'oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'jeff.z.pan@xxxxxxxxxx'" <jeff.z.pan@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'ekendall@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <ekendall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 22:08:54 -0400
Leo,    (01)

LO> I was just forwarding an interesting and relevant morsel from
 > another list. Potentially interesting to OOR.    (02)

Thanks for forwarding that note.  It gave me an idea for another
slide for my tutorial at the Semantic Technology Conference:    (03)

     http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/iss.pdf
     Integrating Semantic Systems    (04)

In Slide 21, I show the original "layer cake" diagram for
the Semantic Web.  Next to it, I show the new layer cake,
which has a tiny green box labeled "Unifying Logic".    (05)

Under that, I wrote three bullet items:    (06)

  * The original diagram embodied many good ideas.    (07)

  * But building semantics on top of syntax was not one of them.    (08)

  * Result: Incompatible notations with unifying logic as a future hope.    (09)

As I said before, I had been hopeful about the Semantic Web a dozen
years ago.  I still haven't given up completely.  Note that I wrote
"future" instead of "forlorn".    (010)