Re: [oor-forum] Developing a standard for an ontologyregistry/repository

To: "OpenOntologyRepository-discussion" <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jack Ring <jring@xxxxxxxx>, paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx, standard-upper-ontology@xxxxxxxx
From: "Todd Schneider" <tschneider@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 15:35:50 -0500
John,    (01)

I've volunteered to assemble/inventory the list of 'things' the OOR has
done over
the past year in order to understand what we a) expect(ed) of an open
ontology repository,
b) have done, and c) identify what remains.     (02)

>From this list, which will include initial requirements and use cases,
the expectation is
to be able a) gain consensus, b) start to fill in the gaps, and c) to
partition work in
order to realize an OOR.    (03)

Some of the capabilities or services that are needed or expected have
been identified.
Others have not. For instance, the 'explicit
generalization/specialization' may be part
of the 'mapping' capability already identified (but not completely
specified).     (04)

There will be a review and discussion of this 'list' at the 19 February
Ontolog meeting.
I will be emphasizing a spiral or evolutionary approach to the OOR to
support [our]
learning. That is, we'll learn what needs to be done and how it should
be done. So that
we'll start off with basic functionality and then start adding
capabilities. In doing so
we'll also provide a decoupling of services from the core/basic
functionality.    (05)

It would optimal if other repository efforts would contribute their
knowledge and
experiences.    (06)

Todd    (07)