Re: [oor-forum] FW: URIs and Unique IDs

To: ray@xxxxxxxx, OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Evan Wallace <ewallace@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 10:57:28 -0500
In the Semantic Web or when using semantic web languages, the primary
names/identifiers for classes,
properties and individuals (instances) are http URIs . This is
fundamental to the languages and the way
tools support the languages. RDF data and OWL ontologies are typically
stored and accessed as web
documents (and OWL imports is the typical mechanism used for
modularizing this information). The
RDF data model is triple based and the OWL model is axiom based. How one
would make these languages
and their tools work with the Object Oriented approach and services in
the Handle System is far from obvious.
Am I missing something? Is there a document describing how these things
could be used together? Until
I see a document describing how this would work, I don't see how the
Handle System will help manage
identifiers or any other information for semantic web resources.    (01)

-Evan    (02)