Re: [oor-forum] FW: URIs and Unique IDs

To: OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:17:54 -0500
Leo and Steve,    (01)

For naming schemes, there are only two options:    (02)

  1. Free for all naming scheme (e.g., people can name themselves
     and their children, pets, cities, etc., anything they please).    (03)

  2. Regimented naming scheme (some constraints imposed).    (04)

Option #1 usually results in multiple entities with the same
names.  Option #2 requires some kind of centralized registry
system that enforces whatever constraints are agreed.    (05)

The simplest kind of constraint is something like GENSYM in LISP.
Each time it is called, it generates a symbol that is guaranteed
to be distinct from every other symbol it has ever generated.    (06)

But for many kinds of things, such as people, computer programs,
and ontologies, we may need some kind of versioning mechanism.
We might want to talk about some specific version of Linux,
or we might want to refer to some person as a child or an adult.    (07)

Before we can even begin to talk about a registry for handling
versions, we have to agree on a lot of identity criteria.    (08)

When are two ontologies versions of one another?  How different
do two versions have to be before they are considered distinct?
Who decides?    (09)