Re: [oor-forum] FW: URIs and Unique IDs

To: ray@xxxxxxxx, OpenOntologyRepository-discussion <oor-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John Graybeal <graybeal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 19:45:52 -0800
For what little it's worth, I've taken a moderately detailed look at handles, and I reached the same conclusion some others have: it moves the existing problems of URIs around to other parts of the architecture, but doesn't fundamentally eliminate any of them, and doesn't provide enough capability improvements or social improvements to outweigh the social and adoption costs. (It may be better than minted URIs -- it wasn't obviously better to me, but I'm not an expert -- but I thought not sufficiently better to abandon minted URIs.)

I'll be interested to hear others' reactions.  I think it may have been discussed on the semantic-web list, so might be worth checking the archives before posting.

John