oor-dev

[oor-dev] Heavy "upload" traffic to the OOR-sandbox

To: Paul R Alexander <palexander@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Chatigny <jchatign@xxxxxxx>, Tejas Parikh <tejas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Shinya Yamada <shinya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: OpenOntologyRepository-development <oor-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[cwe-imp]" <cwe-imp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:20:40 -0800
Paul / Jim / Tejas / Shinya,    (01)

I am seeing some irregular traffic pattern in the OOR-sandbox.    (02)

See:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OOR/oor-dev/issue/oor-01_eth0-traffic_2010-02-21_172029.jpg
... where I have shown the traffic into eth-0 of the <oor-01> vm.    (03)

 [ ... Started about mid-day Fri 2010.02.12, we are seeing uploads
that goes into the OOR-sandbox every hour (starting about 15 min. past
the hour, and lasting anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes or so) and peeks
at rates of up to ~10mbps. ]    (04)

Ref. Jim's explanations last Friday
(http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OOR/ConferenceCall_2010_02_19#nid28PL),
I suspect this traffic could be the result of:    (05)

(a)  the BioPortal "OBO-pull" traffic - something BioPortal would do
to periodically check the Open Biomedical Ontologies (OBO) Foundry,
and pull over any
updates into the BioPortal. Assuming the OOR-sandbox has not been
customized in this respect (to "not" behave like BioPortal) then this
probably could be it ... although, I am somewhat surprised that there
is *so much traffic* needed to sync up with the OBO Foundry ... or,    (06)

(b)  Jim's federation traffic ... although this is less likely,
because Jim claims that he has been "downloading" from the OOR-sandbox
to his instance of the repository, and this traffic, presumably, is
traffic going "into" the OOR-sandbox and not "out of" it.    (07)

Questions:    (08)

1. Does the above explain the situation adequately, or am I missing
something (somewhere else)?    (09)

2. if above (a) is really the case, can it be stopped by the
OOR-sandbox admin (or does  it have to be modified at the
configuration, or the code somewhere).
[I can only see an option to invoke the "OBO Pull - Run" (and don't
seem to see a "OBO Pull - Stop") at the Admin GUI.    (010)

3. Corrective action suggestions and plans ... anyone?    (011)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy
--    (012)