Re: [ontology-summit] Shareable versus reusable, or shared and reusable

To: Ontology Summit 2014 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Bhat, Talapady N." <talapady.bhat@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:04:49 +0000

Hi,

This discussion on ‘sharing’ versus ‘re-usable/re-using’ is very interesting. During the last few years, particularly due to the efforts by NSF, NIST and European Union through the Research Data Alliance (RDA https://rd-alliance.org/rda-third-plenary-meeting.html ) these types of discussion has become increasingly common in many meetings. During these discussions it has become increasingly clear that needs for  ‘sharing’ and ‘re-using’ are not the same. Requirement for ‘sharing’ may be (for some) as simple as creating a public resource for ontology downloads with features mentioned in (1) & (2) below. But for ‘re-using’ one need to create a ontology/terminology that can be readily adopted or re-tuned to meet the needs of new or otherwise unforeseen use-cases preferable across many disciplines.

I would like to mention the following two links that try to discuss this issue more.

•              https://www.rd-alliance.org/filedepot_download/694/160

•              http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/12/487

Best regards,

T N Bhat