Re: [ontology-summit] [Bottlenecks] Questions from Session 2

To: "'Ontology Summit 2014 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 08:09:09 -0000
Dear David,    (01)

Thanks for those comments - very helpful. A comment.    (02)

DP: People have been told ontology development is very hard and costly.    (03)

And this is wrong, at least in relative terms. Ontology development is
always part of some greater project. The example I will give is Shell's
Downstream One project, which was a multi-billion dollar project to reorient
Shell's Downstream business from a devolved to centralised model using a
single set of systems globally. We developed (I lead, DP was part of the
team) a data model for the downstream business, cost in the region of half a
million dollars. The guy running the project was indeed concerned about how
much it would cost, but when he heard what it would actually cost, didn't
even want to hear the justification - he said "just do it".    (04)

Regards    (05)

Matthew West
Information  Junction
Mobile: +44 750 3385279
Skype: dr.matthew.west
matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/
https://www.matthew-west.org.uk/
This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England
and Wales No. 6632177.
Registered office: 8 Ennismore Close, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire,
SG6 2SU.    (06)