Re: [ontology-summit] [Tools] Are ontology languages relevant for applic

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 08:55:06 -0500
On 1/31/14 5:17 AM, David Price wrote:
>> Some people say "Tools are boring."  I agree that YASWT (Yet Another
>> >Semantic Web Tool) is indeed boring.  But the new tools implement
>> >ways of thinking about ontology that are totally different from the
>> >SW dogma.  That is not boring.  That can be revolutionary.
> Most big data app logic/algorithms are far more complex than can be written
>in logic languages. That said, RDF has some nice features wrt wrt the
>"variability" aspect of big data apps. You can think of it as supporting
>schema-less data where you discover the ontology and can layer it over the
>data after analysis of the data itself.    According to Gartner many
>organizations find the “variety” dimension of big data a much bigger challenge
>than volume or velocity. When asked about the dimensions of data organizations
>struggle with most, 49% answered variety, while 35% said volume, and 16%
>replied velocity. Our CEO wrote an article for InformationWeek about this:
>

>http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/varietys-the-spice-of-life-andndash-and-bane-of-big-data/d/d-id/1112960
>
> John talks about the "SW dogma", by which I assume he means the OWL DL dogma,
>but I hope everyone realizes that there are many very practical use cases
>where RDF/OWL solves a problem and where the DL dogma is not relevant - in our
>view Big Data/Semantics is one of those use cases. The majority of our
>customers are actually not members of the "SW dogma" club. That said, we do a
>lot of inference over data ... it's just rules driven using SPIN rather than a
>reasoner. So, in our experience an OWL DL reasoner is not the primary SW tool
>- SPARQL is the primary SW tool (and by a long way). That's why SPIN is built
>over SPARQL.
>
> I expect the academic world is where John and others who complain about "SW
>dogma" spend their time. That dogma does exist, but it is not even close to
>being the majority of enterprise uses of SW tech.
>
> Cheers,
> David    (01)

Nicely stated!    (02)

The issue is big data variety. Never a day goes by where the fact that
the following has been possible for years, doesn't fail to amaze an
enterprise realm customer or prospect:    (03)

1. Install SW product
2. Verify that you have ODBC or JDBC connections to your SQL RDBMS data
sources
3. Attach data sources to SW product
4. Let SW product generate
     -- 5-Star Linked Data based HTTP URIs that denote the entities,
entity types, and relation types
     -- vocabulary / ontology (that describes entity types and relation
types in so-called TBoxes and RBoxes, respectively)
     -- facts about entities (erstwhile marooned as records in a
relational table) using terms from the generated vocabulary / ontology
(in so-called ABox)
5. Take a sample HTTP URI that denotes an entity and place it in any
HTTP user agent
6. Start exploring all the relationships generated by the process by
faceting over relations.    (04)

With RDF/XML now put back in the box, 1-6 is much easier to understand
(on the parts of developers and end-users).    (05)

Today, 1-6 is strangely the "best kept secret" in the realm of data
access, management, and integration due to endless arguments and debates
that continue to reduce Semantics to Syntax. BTW -- I even those that
denounce the terrible issues that RDF/XML bestowed on the entire
Semantic Web vision (i.e.. triple and semantics invisibility) doing the
very same thing by always looking at the problem through the lens of
Syntax rather than entity relationships and their relation semantics.    (06)

Regards,    (08)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software