Re: [ontology-summit] [Tools] Are ontology languages relevant for applic

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 17:22:17 -0500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_%28computer%29 has a nice summary of Watson but not much in depth technical details.
It does include a long list of references so it is a good starting point.

<quote>

The sources of information for Watson include encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauri, newswire articles, and literary works. Watson also used databases, taxonomies, and ontologies. Specifically, DBPedia, WordNet, and Yago were used.

The IBM team provided Watson with millions of documents, including dictionaries, encyclopedias, and other reference material that it could use to build its knowledge. Although Watson was not connected to the Internet during the game, it contained 200 million pages of structured and unstructured content consuming four terabytes of disk storage, including the full text of Wikipedia.[9]

</quote>

I am not sure that you can get much bigger in terms of big data or human knowledge in a machine readable form.
Although it included ontologies, it does not restrict itself to only processing data in nice neat formats.

It certainly does not care much about the niceties of strict logic processing except as a tool for guiding more human-like analysis of unstructured data.

It is fast and can beat humans most of the time on general knowledge questions.
It is based on current hardware but the software is organized into multiple parallel processing paths to get the speed.

http://laplacian.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/how-ibms-watson-computer-thinks-on-jeopardy/  is another nice short overview.

Ron