Re: [ontology-summit] [VarietyProblem] Tackling the Variety Problem in B

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bart Gajderowicz <bartg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 19:02:54 -0500

Hi Ken,

I can purpose two ideas which relate to machine learning, data mining, and their relation to ontologies.

1) My MSc work looked at extending ontologies with machine learning, for the purpose of ontology mapping. This can be applied to merging datasets which have associated ontologies.

http://www.scs.ryerson.ca/~bgajdero/msc_thesis/

I'd be happy to provide more information.

2) I'm not sure if this would fall under the Variety Problem domain, but the issue of asking the right questions of the date is an important aspect of data science (many other labels for this field but I'm choosing this one for now).

Understanding the underlining semantics of days points, data records, etc, allows a data scientist to:

- Ask the right questions, which is important when configuring statistical and data-mining models, as well as the experiments.

- Interpret experiment results in various ways.

- Draw conclusions which may lead to better understanding of the data, as well as better questions for the next iteration of experiments.

--
Bart Gajderowicz
PhD Candidate, 2017